Please help the girl that knows nothing about cars but is willing to learn :) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please help the girl that knows nothing about cars but is willing to learn :)

AprilRosyButt

Reaction score
City, State
Beaverton, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Limited
My dad (Ford salesman for 25 years) bought me a '96 Limited when someone traded it in a few weeks ago. $1000 wasn't bad. Anyway, there are a few issues with it, but none serious enough to ask why the hell he bought it. The biggest issue right now is that the air doesn't work. At all. I have tried searching the forums, but perhaps I am just a bad searcher. I have found threads that address what is wrong if it still works on high, but none with no air at all. My dad bought another blower unit, but that turns out to not be the issue. He is going to ask the guys at work if they know exactly what it is, but thought I would ask here since explorers are your passion.

Any ideas on these other issues and possible costs?
- back wiper isn't working.
- Steering wheel leather is peeling pretty bad. Should I just get a cover?
- outside temp seems to be off. Not really a big deal with internet.
- my seat lumbar will inflate, but not deflate.
- I should really replace my driver's seat belt. It's kinda stiff. The others dont even look like he ever passengers in the car!
- My driver's side outside handle is loose. Found the fix on this one!
- Passenger lock will not lock with automatic locks but will unlock. Found the fix on this one as well! :)
- And I may just leave this one- He had a car phone installed in the power point on the passenger side. I get comments every where about it. People think it's the best thing ever!

I would really like to learn how to do some of these on my own. However, with a 4 year old, they may not all be possible! And well, the Ford guys kinda look at me like I'm nuts when I walk in and start talking about fixing a car...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome from a fellow Oregonian!
On your issues-
-back wiper issue could be the wiper motor, i think
-My steering wheel is the same way...I bought a cheap cover and it works;-)
-outside temp? you mean the overhead console? maybe the sensor for it is messed up...
-the lumbar....at least yours inflates....mine doesnt even do that anymore;-) it is most likely one of the air valves sticking or something.
-seatbelt=junkyard, or LMC truck
-car phone? lol....i'd leave it for the looks!

-Mike

Welcome from a fellow Oregonian!
On your issues-
-back wiper issue could be the wiper motor, i think
-outside temp? you mean the overhead console? maybe the sensor for it is messed up...Yeah that thing. Sometimes it's kinda accurate. Well, within 5 degrees. Most of the time it isn't reading hot enough though. I usually just check online on wunderground.com if I am really that curious!
-the lumbar....at least yours inflates....mine doesnt even do that anymore;-) it is most likely one of the air valves sticking or something.It doesn't even click at all. So I am almost wondering if perhaps the wire got pulled or something.
-seatbelt=junkyard, or LMC truckI'll have to see how much it would cost to order a new one. Pulling one kinda scares me since I'm a car seat (child restraint) freak and understand crash dynamics.
-car phone? lol....i'd leave it for the looks!

-Mike

It's nice to see some other Oregon people on here!!!
Here is the car
0801192602.jpg

And the fantasticness!
0729074218_01.jpg

That's pimp. I'd leave the phone in too..

Nice looking Ltd.! Looks like that right front tire has been run flat. I'd find another.

Whose Jag parked next to it?

Ha, I actually still have a car phone just like that stashed away somewhere. Any of you pimps want to buy it?????:cool::cool::rolleyes::D

Welcome to the site April! I will answer the easiest question-you can easily re-wrap the steering wheel using this product:

www.wheelskins.com

Put one of them on many years ago, still looks new. And I agree, that tire doesnt look so good...

Always loved those Limited's-especially that color.

I agree with the wheelskins. Takes about an hour to install but looks great when done. Rear wiper is common. Mine went out, I replaced the motor and it worked for two days. Now it only works when it wants so I think there is a switch issue w/ the rear wiper as well. I'd be looking into some tires for that thing too. It also looks like your rear leafs are shot.

i've got a spare set of tires in my garage i'd let go cheap;-) And yeah, I'd definitely look into an add-a-leaf for the back, as a temporary solution. Unless that Limited has the factory air-ride and it's not working properly...

I found an original, never installed, OEM saddle-colored leather steering wheel on Ebay. With shipping it cost me $100. I jumped at it and am very happy with it, but it gets dirty quickly. Honestly, if you don't need it to be the original color, just get a black one from a junkyard. There's plenty of 'em out there in good shape.

Rear wiper is common. Mine went out, I replaced the motor and it worked for two days. Now it only works when it wants so I think there is a switch issue w/ the rear wiper as well.

I've had the same problems with replacing the wiper motors. There is a thread on here somewhere that goes into more detail about the problem then just how to change the wiper motor. Apparently they slop to much grease inside the motor and it ends of covering electrical contacts and makes the motor quit working. If you take it apart and clean the excess grease out it's supposed to make it work reliably then. I'll see if I can find the thread.

EDIT: Actually it looks like I misunderstood the thread, the problem wasn't the grease. Here's the thread.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252596

Anyone else think this was a **** site spammer? Learn something new everyday. Welcome April

My screen name is what my daddy called me growing up. My middle name is Rose.
You guys are going to have to talk slow to the poor girl about this car lingo.... what are leafs? It still has the factory air ride thing, but I hate the noise that it makes when I am parked and still running. So I turned it off. The front right tire I believe got curbed. So the white lettering is all scratched up. Maybe I'm wrong. I would totally be interested in some new tires if I get the money. Heck, you boys can play with the car and I'll pay for it. As long as you teach me some things along the way!!

Oh, almost forgot, would it look incredibly stupid to put those weather tinted things on the front two windows? I had them on my last car and loved being able to keep my windows cracked all year long.

Ok one more oh. What are the black sensor things on the top right of the windshield and next to the joint of the sun visor on the driver's side?

I'm local, and I'm always down to work on Explorers;-) Also in school to fix stuff for a living! If you're gonna put the window things on, i'd put 'em on all 4 windows. I have a set for mine, just haven't put 'em on yet!

I have always wanted to learn how to work on them. My ex FIL used to work on them all the time, but my ex wouldn't touch a car. I recently (briefly) dated someone who changed my oil and tuned up my van and I was fascinated by all the stuff in there and what it does. I guess a lot of people just see cars as a whole and don't really think about all the things inside that actually make it work.

I will probably put them on all 4 windows. How much do they run?

Now, I'm going to get back to searching for these leaf thingies!

I think i paid $50 for mine....I'd have to find the receipt. Knechts or AutoZone will probably have the best price locally.
Leaf thingys? Add-a-leaves?

I don't think Ventshades look stupid, I have them on my Explorer. You can click the link in my signature for my Explorer to look at pictures to see what they look like.

The picture is taken on slanted ground. Would that make any difference?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back