Please Help!?! Transfer case replacement? Humming noise? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please Help!?! Transfer case replacement? Humming noise?

PackerBacker

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 ford explorer
Hi,
I have a 2008 explorer V8 AWD with 50,000 miles. I am experiencing a fairly loud humming/whining from the vehicle at 55-60mph. The sound is not present at below 55mph or at above 60mph. The humming is taking place whether I am on the gas or coasting. I had both front wheelbearings replaced 3 months ago. I brought it into the shop today and they told me the sound is coming from the transfer case. They told me the transfer case would need to be rebuilt or replaced, at a cost of several thousand dollars. Anyone else have any experience with this issue??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A brand-spanking new transfer case from Ford is (only) $2500.

I spent just a few minutes on ebay and found plenty - anywhere from 30K miles used with 6 mo. warranty to remanned units with 2 year warranty - all for less than $1000. The most expensive one is brand-new for $1095 shipped to your door.

First thing I'd do is get a 2nd and 3rd opinion as it sounds like this shop is completely trying to rip you off charging "several thousand dollars"... I wouldn't even mention transfer case to the other shops - let them isolate the source of the noise.

Like Track Marks mentioned, get another opinion from different shops. Doesn't sound like transfer case to me at all since in my mind it would be making noises at most speeds if it was and not a specific speed that tends to be most related to tires in my experience.
In the case of this linked post it tends to be wheel bearings making the noise(based on what others are stating) and it is not uncommon to have cheap hubs go bad quickly on these vehicles, see here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432810&highlight=humming+at

Have another shop take a look. Rear wheel bearings in particular can show up in weird places... The last time my drivers rear wheel bearing went out, it sounded like the transfer case as well.

I am following it.

I have a humming/grinding noise coming from somewhere. Since my passenger front bearing had 118 k miles on it, and I had a used one with just 22 k miles on it in my garage, I just swapped them this morning. I got most of the noise gone, the bearing/hub was actually wet inside, I think the grease leaked out. When I span it in hands, it was squeaking. I still have a noise, it may be tires. I put the car on wood blocks in 2 corners with wheels in the air, and started the car. With a stethoscope I listened to the front the rear differential and the transfer case. The diffs were quiet and smooth. The TC was making a noise but maybe it's just the normal operation of the chain inside. I opened the upper plug, I added a little or regular Mercon and we'll see.

I brought it to another shop for a 2nd opinion. They also told me the noise is coming from the transfer case and found metal shavings in the transfer case fluid. Quoted me $2200 for a re-manufactured transfer case with all seals fluid and labor. Im surprised nobody else has reported this problem on the forum as far as I can tell. Wonder why it happened to me with just 50k miles....

Wow #1

$ 2200, that's steep, but what do I know. Those are the mechanic rates these days.

Wow # 2
Just 50k ? I do not recall posts with anybody having issues with transfer cases in 4th gen, I am sure there are some, but very few and between.
Get 2 more estimates.
Find out what's the labor involved, I guess it's about 5 hrs, that would be about 5-600 bucks for a shop to do it.
If you can buy a remanufactured one 7L24-7A195-DB, maybe you can save some more, or find one with low miles. I know you just had 50k on yours when it went but I would take a shot.

I saw one with 34k miles for $ 500

[MENTION=241250]Trac Marks[/MENTION]...i asked the shop for a breakdown of the price and $1600 is for the re-manned T-case with 2 year warranty. They said if I provided the transfer case they would install it and just charge labor. I did an ebay search but couldn't find any with warranties, can you send me a link?
[MENTION=85538]MNgopher[/MENTION]...they told me the rear right wheel bearing is also making noise....really makes me wonder if thats the true culprit..i might have both rear wheel bearings replaced first before going any further...

PackerBacker-
The transfer cases are manufactured by Borg-Warner and are known for being very sturdy and reliable so I have a very hard time believing that it has eaten a gear with only 50k miles on it. Just because a shop shows you a little bit of metal shavings doesn't mean that a gear in it is bad, a little metal out of it is perfectly normal especially since the fluid has never been changed on it and there is no filter in it to catch the fine metal shavings like in the transmission. I would definitely go the route of replacing the rear hubs/bearings before investing in a transfer case.

Just remember the warenty only covers the transfer case not the labor to replace it! I would personally go with a reputable shop with with a good warenty and do it through them if your not going to do the swap your self which isn't a bad job it's like 10 bolts 2 nuts and conector. You could prob get one at a junkyard that comes with a 30day warenty and do it your self I would think like 300 for t-case but if your not going to do it I would do it all with a shop this way if you have a problem you bring it back and say fix it.

Tom

Check that bearing.
I experienced the noises coming from the drivetrain multiple times. I have almost 215k miles on mine, and went thru probably 10 bearings all around. Every time I feared it was my differentials or transfer case, every time, sooner or later I would detect that the bearing is shot and problem was gone once I replaced it. Right now, I have same issue. I have a humming/grinding noise. To eliminate some of the tings I did the following: on the road, if conditions permit, get the car up to speed, switch 4x4 on and off and see if the noise changes. Put the car in Neutral, see if that does anything. If both have no effect, than most likely your tranny and transfer case are OK.

In my case, I finally found my right rear wheel is wobbling around, I tighten the nut a little, that buys me few hundred miles but this weekend - I know what I am doing already :)

If there is even a hint of a rear bearing problem, start there. When my drivers rear bearing failed under warranty (had been replaced less than a year earlier), I swore it was in the transfer case or differentials somewhere. The sound/growl came through in weird places...

As others have posted, a little metal is normal in a transfer case - big chunks are where I'd get concerned!

so I replaced both the rear wheel bearings...problem solved...after bringing it to 2 different shops and being told the noise was coming from the transfer case...this forum really saved me a ton of money...i feel like i owe you all a portion of the savings!!! lol thanks guys!!

Great news Packer

Because of the body on frame and 4wd system, the noise just spreads all around the drivetrain.

Still, it is discouraging and sad that some people without any technical knowledge fall for those mis-diagnosis and pay big bucks.

Awesome news (well, better than a new transfer case anyways) - and glad you posted the outcome!

Would have been awful to spend the money on a new transfer case or rebuild, and still have the problem...

Hey guys -

remember my story ? :)

2 shops diagnosed I need a new engine which I replaced and still had same problem. It turned out my torque converter was locked up for good.
I was not feeling that bad since I did it with a buddy in my driveway and the engine was just 1600 bucks with 55k miles on it, and mine was over 200k already, but man, was I pissed when we cranked it up the first time and it was still stalling....
It's difficult to find a good mechanic these days.

My favorite was the guy who said his front dif shot. I told him to check the front U joint. He spent a bunch of cash to have the front dif replaced. A couple weeks later when the issue was still there he had the U-joint that was bad replaced. Classic. A fool will be easily parted with his money.

The problem with today's mechanics are they are just parts changers and go by a common issue kind of like the forum here and because of that they aren't taking the time to diagnose it correctly most of the time it's because people come in requesting a tire rotation and say while you have the tires off I hear a noise etc! So it's hard to blame mechanics but there are some pretty bad ones out there even at the dealers but there is nothing we can do besides getting a more second opinions like when you go to the doctors you go to 2 docs when you have a doubt! But any way glad it's fixed sure beats a 3k transfer case! What bearing did they or you put in if someone else did them hope they give at least a year warenty cause bearings today just don't last like the originals!

Tom

Hi Tech -

Did you just call me a fool :) ?

I got 2 opinions, got the third one at the Ford dealership which was finally correct.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tech -

can you elaborate about the front u-joint ?
I am still having the noise and it looks like it's coming from the front and changes when turning left and right just few degrees, especially around 45 mph. I wonder how much of a hassle it is to replace that if I have that issue.

Back