Please Help!?! Transfer case replacement? Humming noise? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please Help!?! Transfer case replacement? Humming noise?

Tom,
I used the Callahan C521000 rear hub and bearing assemblies, $34 each on Amazon....hopefully they hold up, they had good reviews overall

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Packer I doubt it for only 35 bucks that's cheap as anything but if your ok with doing it than even if you had to do that 10 times in 100k miles that's still cheaper than a ford or motorcraft assembly that's how I look at it on my Grand Prix a acdelco or gm is 350 I got a timken for like 90 if I do that 3 times its still cheaper it's all about how hard is it to replace if you said I'm replacing timing chains on a 4.0 sohc which takes 17 hours to do is say ford for everything why chance it to have to do again but because it's a hub which is only an hour to replace its just a mater over replacement.

Tom

I have an 09 Explorer EB 4WD. I bought it used. After a month or two I started hearing the hum. I had both front wheel hubs and RR hub replaced which greatly reduced the hum but the hum was still there.

It turned out to be the front differential. The front diff was removed and sent to Austin Drive Train for overhaul, returned and reinstalled. Hum was gone. ADT reported that they were seeing some of this vintage Ford diffs with hum noise.

Rear hub and bearings are not that straight forward, and for sure it's not an hour.

Timken is about 50 bucks.

Rear hub and bearings are not that straight forward, and for sure it's not an hour.

Timken is about 50 bucks.

My bad labor from ford says 1.5 sorry was half hour off! Bearings are straight foward if you know what your doing the rears on the explorer are pressed in so you need a press but if you replaced the knuckle assembly that includes the bearing that's even easier!

Tom

Back