• Register Today It's free!

Please Help! Transmission Issue

speerskija

Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bower
My 92 explorer eddie bower has 131,000 miles on it and yesterday it began having a problem. It has an automatic transmission. It will not shift from the first gear into the second gear until I let off of the gas, other than that it just continues to rev up higher and higher. It doesn't do it going into any of the next gears, just from 1st to second. I changed the transmission fluid and filter today. Overall the transmission seems to be running smoothly, just this struggle shifting. If anyone has had this problem or has any idea what it might be I'd sure appreciate some suggestions. I have heard that it might be the transmission shift modulator, but don't know. A couple days ago I did rev the engine pretty good in 1st gear to get up a very snowy hill, and maybe that is what led to this problem. Anyway, your reply's will be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be a valve body issue as you say all other gears work fine. A new vac modulator from Ford is cheap make sure vacuum lines are good and tight both ends. Fluid level is good right?

I checked the fluid level and it is ok. When you say "valve body", is that another name for the Transmission Modulator? I did purchase a new modulator that I figured I could install to see if that fixes it. I went to install it and noticed that the cat converter is in the way, do you need to take it off to install the modulator?

I would put money on it being the Valve Body, ask Glacier991 he's the one to talk to when it comes to transmissions, he will point you in the right direction.

A sticking governor could be causing your 1-2 shift delay. Does this happen all of the time, or just when it is cold? Did you see any transmission fluid in the vacuum hose going to the modulator? Do you have a delay going into reverse?

It used to only do it when it was cold, now it does it consistently every time. There doesn't appear to be a delay going into reverse. I didn't check for fluid from the vacuum hose to the modulator. How would I go about adjusting or fixing the governor. Is that something I could do myself?

You have to remove your extension housing to get to the governor. It is a small part that is held in place with 2 bolts. Here is some more information: Governor weight 56615-35 35 mm ($4.46). That is a Sonnax part #.

Here is an exploded view of a governor (courtesy of Glacier):
15286DSCN4560_1_.jpg

Hey thanks for the help and the great picture!

It will not shift from the first gear into the second gear until I let off of the gas

I had the same problem so I dropped the trans pan and I found parts of my Intermedite(sp) band in the pan. the Ex ran find but had to let off the gas for it to shift into 2nd and 3rd.

parts in pan?

SmSgt said:
I had the same problem so I dropped the trans pan and I found parts of my Intermedite(sp) band in the pan. the Ex ran find but had to let off the gas for it to shift into 2nd and 3rd.

What did the parts of the intermediate band looks like? Did you adjust that band and if so, how many turns out?

I missed the part of his post where he stated his trans was rebuilt ..sorry.
My trans had 175K on it and the Band just fell apart.. the pice that hooks the band to the Adj screw and a part of the band was in my pan.

Back