Please help! urgent 97 explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please help! urgent 97 explorer XLT

Post number 8 has been selected as best answered.

WolfMatrix

Reaction score
City, State
Tecumseh Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 97 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 l V6 OHV it has 181k miles on it. When I drive Down the road at 55-65 MPH it has this like grinding/ whining noise. It recently started doing this.

The parts have never been changed at least to my knowledge.

The parts that I’ve changed myself were : Inner and outer tierods, sway bar links, rear breaks, new tires but going bad fast because of my alignment I got done recently.

My Trans fluid has never been changed same with the filter since it’s a sealed pan. But has a red to it still.

Some stuff I was told it could be was U-Joints. Wheel Hubs. Or drivetrain/powertrain stuff.

Then a question I have. When flooring it it gets to about 4K Rpm and it whines down then climbs back up all in the same gear. Could that be a MAF Sensor. Or any other tuneup issue??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does not sound like tune up… Does noise change if you shift to neutral? Does noise change when you accelerate? Does noise change when you brake, or when you turn? Is the noise different at different speeds?

Is vehicle four wheel drive? Have you checked transfer case fluid? (If four wheel drive).

Good luck.

"When flooring it it gets to about 4K Rpm and it whines down then climbs back up all in the same gear. Could that be a MAF Sensor. Or any other tuneup issue??" This issue sounds like your trans is slipping....or is it more like a surging up and down situation ?

If it’s slipping that badly, I’d imagine you’d throw a trans code...incorrect ratio or similar

Does not sound like tune up… Does noise change if you shift to neutral? Does noise change when you accelerate? Does noise change when you brake, or when you turn? Is the noise different at different speeds?

Is vehicle four wheel drive? Have you checked transfer case fluid? (If four wheel drive).

Good luck.
It only does it while driving. I never shift to neutral since it’s an automatic. When I accelerate when going 55+ it gets louder it’s like the noise is a grinding noise but not metal grinding. Nothing happens when I break but sound goes away when I release gas peddle: it is a 4WD and I have a small drip in the transfer case but it’s not bad and my trans fluid is a normal wear color

"When flooring it it gets to about 4K Rpm and it whines down then climbs back up all in the same gear. Could that be a MAF Sensor. Or any other tuneup issue??" This issue sounds like your trans is slipping....or is it more like a surging up and down situation ?
How would I solve that?

I might start with change transmission fluid and filter, and watch proper fill level. It would not be overly expensive, and maybe a good starting point.

Good luck.

Sounds like transfer case.

You have a transmission issue if it’s slipping RPM in the same gear. At 181k and no maintenance you’re almost certainly looking at a can of worms.

181k on original fluid? Wow.

Trans is probably toast.

You have a transmission issue if it’s slipping RPM in the same gear. At 181k and no maintenance you’re almost certainly looking at a can of worms.

the thing is the fluid looks good doesn’t smell burnt or feel griddy

The thing is the fluid looks good doesn’t feel gritty and doesn’t smell burnt

Bands break clutches wear out

Transmissions are driven by bands. They wear out and snap. They can also come loose.

There are many clutches with friction material. They wear, and glaze over.

If your transmission fluid was gritty you probably wouldn’t make it home. Red fluid doesn’t equal a healthy transmission. Wipe it on a white piece of paper. It’s probably darker than you think.

Wouldn’t be the first time the tang on a band snapped off. Once that happens, it won’t engage that band.

Once they start slipping like that, though? Frictions glaze, and that’s not going to get any better.

Hooking up a pressure gauge to the trans will tell you more, as will pulling the trans codes. Likely time for a rebuild, though.

Transmissions are driven by bands. They wear out and snap. They can also come loose.

There are many clutches with friction material. They wear, and glaze over.

If your transmission fluid was gritty you probably wouldn’t make it home. Red fluid doesn’t equal a healthy transmission. Wipe it on a white piece of paper. It’s probably darker than you think.
Oh okay. Where you think I can take it to get it looked at professionally around the Michigan area?

Not many shops, in my experience, really repair transmissions. Mostly they just replace/rebuild.

Good luck.

Oh okay. Where you think I can take it to get it looked at professionally around the Michigan area?
A 25 yo 5r55E Trans with that mileage is likely going to get replaced for any issue in a professional shop. I hate to say it but it may be the best option. They could fix something and then you come back and they may end up losing money because there are other underlying issues. DIY is another story.

You can get an adapter, run Forscan, it can give you a complete picture of your transmission. There are many issues with the valve body, servos, etc, that were beaten to death on these forums. Sometimes you can repair the valve body, but with that mileage, if you want to keep the truck, may be best to get a good rebuild.

There are about 20 data parameters. Usually though a major issue will throw a code, but you can see if things are getting close to a threshold. You do need skills to understand the parameters though. For example, You can see when the trans commands a shift and if it is reaching the desired RPM. Any problems though is major work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 97 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 l V6 OHV it has 181k miles on it. When I drive Down the road at 55-65 MPH it has this like grinding/ whining noise. It recently started doing this.

The parts have never been changed at least to my knowledge.

The parts that I’ve changed myself were : Inner and outer tierods, sway bar links, rear breaks, new tires but going bad fast because of my alignment I got done recently.

My Trans fluid has never been changed same with the filter since it’s a sealed pan. But has a red to it still.

Some stuff I was told it could be was U-Joints. Wheel Hubs. Or drivetrain/powertrain stuff.

Then a question I have. When flooring it it gets to about 4K Rpm and it whines down then climbs back up all in the same gear. Could that be a MAF Sensor. Or any other tuneup issue??
Update, This has been solved thank you all

Back