• Register Today It's free!

PLEASE HELP W/ EXHAUST

ExplosaBlazin

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer XLT 4x4
a buddy of mine has a 2000 Ford Ranger XLT w/ the 3.0 litre v6 engine. He is looking at a solid cat back exhaust and is considering the flowmaster....he wants a deap sound but not too loud....i was also wondering how much it would cost... I have heard that it is better to get custom piping w/ whichever muffler u prefer....and i would also like to know what size piping....sorry i typed so much, but if anyone knowledgeable in this area would respond i would greatly appreciate it =D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

40 Delta muffler with 2.25" pipe.

how much would that cost? and do u recommend a full flow cat back or custom piping at a shop?

I saw a dynomax cat back exhaust at JCWhitney for the first generations when I was looking for a cat back for mine. Can't remember the price though. You might want to look that up. If you buy the muffler alone, a shop could install it with custom exhaust for around $150-$200. Most people go with this.

I recommend a custom pipe job with the muffler of your choice.

Thanks a lot guys...So the 40 delta series has a deap rumble and isnt all loud and ricey?

So the 40 delta series has a deap rumble and isnt all loud and ricey

It has a deep rumble, not ricey at all, but loud. At idle they give you a nice rumble but floor it and it gets annoyingly loud to some people. Over the weekend, I experience first hand the sound of the 40 series Flowmaster from a fellow member here. It was loud on a OHV engine. At first I was impressed by it but now I'm thinking it might be cool only for the first few weeks before it gets annoying to me. And for my SOHC, it'll be louder! I'll probably end up with 50-series as I originally wanted. I would definitely go the custom route if I were you.

X-FACTOR, was that a delta or a non-delta?

Get a shop to do the custom pipes with the muffler you want. It is the best way to go!

Like I said, this is for my friend's ranger 3.0 and he doesn't know much about exhaust, but he likes the flowmaster sound. One thing i know he is strong about is the fact that it isnt too loud, so it sounds like the 50 series is his best bet. right?

Depends on your defination of loud; the 50 id too loud for my taste,

Originally posted by Robb
X-FACTOR, was that a delta or a non-delta?

Good question. I don't even know. It's 98Sports. He doesn't go on here much. He's a good friend of Doug. He might know. 98Sports said he got it at the swap meet for 60 bucks.

Deltas tend to be deeper and quieter.

anybody have any good recommendations as to what my friend should get if he wants a deap gurgle, but not very loud inside or out...id say he wants a moderate sound

I have a 40 non delta on my Ex and it is nice and deep at idle but if i step on it, it gets pretty loud but i like that. At lower RPM's its not really loud. I do a 30 min. commute twice a day and doesn't annoy me. Keep in mind that i love loud exhaust (my explorer, snowmobile, motorcycle...) For what you say he is looking for i'd go with the delta 50 with 2.25" piping done at an exhaust shop.

Ive got a 4.0L SOHC V6 in my 01' X, i want a really Deep sounding exhaust for it! Any Suggestions?, I dont care how loud it is as long as its not ricey(I usually have my music blastin anyways) I just want loud! :p I plan to do alot more customizin i just figured id start w/ a nice exhaust ::D:

Back