• Register Today It's free!

Please help

amandakay81

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer 5.0
I have a 2000 Ford explorer. It is having a starting issue: Starts well sometimes (seems to be if motor or outside temp is cool). Cranks over very well---new starter...alt. check and it is ok....battery also check and ok. Just is very slow to fire off. any ideas We have tryed a lot so far...fuel pressure good not dropping pressure when key turned over. replace fuel filter....replaced. IT is not coding anything.....Please Help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5.0 motor...also have checked plugs and plug wires. Also it runs just fine once it starts.

Hi,

how does it run once it starts?

Runs

It runs just fine just trouble with the starting:(

What is the fuel pressure at the rail when starting?

i think it was 65.......trying to remember...i do know that the "book" said it was ok.

Also, have you gotten gasoline from a new source? You might be having issues do to fuel flow restriction.

gas

been getting gas same place and it has been acting up for 5+ tanks of fuel

Have you tried swapping the fuel pump relay to eliminate that?

relay

Yes i swaped it out...didn't help

Getting to the point I'm losing faith in the fuel pump...

I guess it could be a lot of things.

1. Have you tried jumping the car off another car when it is running, even a battery that checks okay may still be weak and may make it hard to start.

2. When you checked the plugs did you pull and check gaps? how long since the plugs were replaced?

3. when you checked fuel pressure, did it drop off after the key was off? Did you check the fuel pressure regulator was working correctly?

4. When you checked the plug wires, did you check resistance on each wire and check for shorts while running with a spray test or other.

5. I am guessing your air filter is relatively clean?

Does it idle real low when it finally catches ? Have you attempted to give it any gas pedal when this occurs ?

still trying

plugs and wires are pretty new (less then 2 years)
tryed new battery
fuel pressure does not drop but 2 pounds
filter clean
and no idle rough...running soomth as soon as it does start
I have tryed pushing the gas pedel down still starts slow but then smells of gas and kind of all most "pops" when it starts if I have held the pedel down 1/2 way when starting

could be???

could this be a MAP or MAF sensor?.....shouldn't they have a code??????....
Started nice this am but as today got HOT out it didn't want to start......:mad:

I still also suspect a weak priming, or a fuel pressure bleed down while not running.

Try turning the key off and on 3 times,Slowly, ( just enough to light the instrument cluster) then on the 4th try go ahead and start the engine.

The 3 switches of the key will result in 3 prime cycles of the fuel pump, with a 4th when you turn the key to start.

So, if it starts right up after doing this, and does it consistantly, I suggest the fuel "flow" is weak and the fuel pump is the issue.

Sure, go ahead and clean the maf, it may help. You want to spray the little wire inside the sampling tube. It is very fragile. be careful.

ok

I tryed the 4 key turn thing and still started very hard..

Will try to clean MAF in am and see if that will help. Thank you

Back