Please show me some high end, creative sub solutions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please show me some high end, creative sub solutions

bilbo99

Reaction score
City, State
Redding, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EB
I just bought a bunch of Alpine gear from a shop that was closing and have a very good start on updating my 2000 Eddie. I am looking for creative and space saving solutions to subwoofer enclosures and amp racks. I have a Q-Logic factory fit box now but it only holds a 10" sub and isn't deep enough to get anything exciting in there. This is what I have now and I don't like using floor space. I am disabled and I sometimes need to lay in the back. The amps and cover feel great on the ribs (sarcasm).

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

I have designs on modifying it heavily but I want to go farther. I don't know where I got this example from, perhaps here, but this is what I am talking about. Would love to see other examples of space saving designs.

Dead Link Removed

This picture comes from this website and I hope the owner doesn't mind me showing it as excellence. Dead Link Removed

Any other trick ideas for getting everything off the floor? Got a Alpine CDA-9887 with all the trimming like blutooth, Sat Radio and USB. Two Alpine amps - MRP-F600 and MRP-M1000. Cadence Neo components up front and an Image IDMAX 10. Flirting with adding two Aura Bass Shakers and some soon to be picked stand alone midbasses to get some more tactile thump upfront.

Anyway, show me some brilliance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, one thing that gets overlooked sometimes is the option of setting up a down-firing configuration. It is actually a really good method of sound reproduction as long as the speakers can handle the cones being inverted (Most modern subwoofer designs have little to no problem with this now).

Basically, you just make the box look like a raised floor design. With an average 12" Subwoofer depth being less than 7", you only need to make the box near 10" high (You want to leave a little clearance between the floor and the face of the woofer). And, it also allows you to not have to worry about anything hitting the cones and damaging the speakers.
I have used it before and it works really well

Currently, my box is ported in design, so I have my one 12" setup, almost the same as the design you show in the image. The only difference is that mine fires upwards.

My first woofer setup was 2 Kicker CVR 8" in a small fiberglass box that replaced the factory pocket. JL and MTX have boxes that fit, but are IMO, very over priced. so I made one.
29359296.jpg

Then I made another one
29310192.jpg

Looks like that weathermat has taken a beating over time...

It looked brand new after I wiped it off. That picture was taken soon as I finished the box and there is saw dust and foot prints everywhere. If I thought I could lay it clean I would do the whole floor in it.

Down firing, which I use in my HT (10" IDMAX, ported w/450 watts) is not an option here. BlackSport is on the right track in terms of retaining floor space. Thanks for the suggestion as I too strongly believe in downfiring, especially with a strong floor.

Well, one thing that gets overlooked sometimes is the option of setting up a down-firing configuration. It is actually a really good method of sound reproduction as long as the speakers can handle the cones being inverted (Most modern subwoofer designs have little to no problem with this now).

Basically, you just make the box look like a raised floor design. With an average 12" Subwoofer depth being less than 7", you only need to make the box near 10" high (You want to leave a little clearance between the floor and the face of the woofer). And, it also allows you to not have to worry about anything hitting the cones and damaging the speakers.
I have used it before and it works really well

Currently, my box is ported in design, so I have my one 12" setup, almost the same as the design you show in the image. The only difference is that mine fires upwards.

Very nice work. Where are the amps and any other gear you have hidden. That is the key for me as you can see my amps are on the floor and I need that space back. 100% of it unless I can come up with $1k for some Arc Minis.

This is very similar to the example photo I provided except its a whole lot less invasive. By that I mean you didn't want/have/need to remove the inside panel and glass it to gain a little air space. I do like the idea of having room for amps on top but vibration isn't always good for amps.

I really liked the 1st design too although three is better than two.

You have any more pics? Pics of amps or pics of the build. Great job. If I went this way I would probably have to come out all the way to the edge of the wheel well since I plan on using deeper subs.

I agree on the expense of the aftermarket boxes. I could only find a JL and Q-Logic for mine and I went with the cheaper Q-Logic as an open box buy from Sounddomain before they closed shop. Cost me $179. Some plastic fronted by some MDF cost as much as the subwoofer it holds which is far more sophisticated.

Then I made another one
29310192.jpg

adding the third woofer and increasing the box size made a world of difference.
Here is the oppening I cut
29308768.jpg

And the main part of the enclosure
29968064.jpg

yeah its a rockstar can. lol. The box is about 9.5x10x25 minus the cut out and woofer displacement, which puts it right around 1.15 cubic feet. with some poly fill it works great for 3-8". If you want to use a larger sub( I would have but I already had two of them and the shop I work at stocks them) with a slightly more complicated box or fiber glass you could squeeze another .75 cubic feet. All while only coming 2 3/4" out from the side panel.

I did a write up about putting amplifiers under the back seats, but I believe it only works on the 2door models. There is a plastic spacer you can remove and it gives you roughly 2.5x11x36" of space before it interferes with the seat mounting. I will send a link for that.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274683
Tthat is the link to the amp mounting post. Im pretty sure the rear seats on 4doors are set up differently.
If you can't find some where in the truck to stash them, then consider leaving them where they are and building the cargo area up to make the floor flush with your amps. I once cut a floorboard out and built a 3" deep box out of sheet metal for a customer. It's a fairly big mod, but if your set up to do it or can have it done cheap, go for it.

Thought I would throw this up for a little action to see if anyone has come up with some cleaver space saving sub designs. The Q-Logic 10" sub deal I have is just not getting it done for me. I am changing decks (Alpine 9887 with all the goodies), speakers (Cadence Neo's) and maybe amps if I decide to use the MRP-M1000 and MRP-F600 Alpine amps I scored for pennys on the dollar.

So, show us your BaZOOKa's! Any install that saves space. False floor with shallow mount subs. Bolt at 3 cubic foot box with a 18" sub to the interior ceiling...lol

Back