Please someone help with misfire/popping | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please someone help with misfire/popping

Jon Kanieski

Reaction score
City, State
Greenfield indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 ford explorer
I have a 95 explorer xlt 4x4 4.0 ohv my truck has developed a rough idle hasnt stalled or died yet but close. It sounds like a poppimg in the exhaust iratic rpms while driving and it surges. Im at my wits end throwing parts n money into it. It seems worse when outside temps or humidity are really high, some trips its fine others it runs terrible the whole trip????
Ive replaced both O2 sensors ahead of cat
New dpfe sensor
New egr vaccum solenoid
New egr valve n tube
Plugs n wires are less then 5 months old
Replaced both coolant temp sensors
New iac valve
New tps
Cleaned mass air sensor didnt make a difference.
Cleaned throttle body n intake best i could no change.
Replaced coil with accel coil prior to current issue (s) ive since bought a new autozone coil still the same (i didnt change the gap when i installed the accel coil could i haave burned up a plug or two??

All thats left is new mass air sensor, or crank sensor, or camshaft sensor?? Possibly fuel pump goin out?

I forgot to mention the surging and or kicking/buckin while over 35+ mph with or without cruise. I think once i might have seen a puff of smoke from the exhaust but not sure. Dont have any helpers to crank while i look.
Any ideas comments suggestion???
I do not have a voltemeter so im limited on testing....and fyi my ex left the truck sitting for a year!!!!
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do an compression test to make sure your issue isn't a valve problem. While the plugs are out examine them, their appearance will tell you a lot about whats going on. If the compression is good check your fuel pressure at the rail. If it's good maybe you have a fuel injector related problem (clogged, sticking open).

What plugs are you running? Are you sure your plug wires are routed clear of the exhaust?

Ok i got it fixed. I replaced the crank sensor, mass airflow sensor, new motorcraft plugs n new motorcraft plug wires and now she runs great

Ok i got it fixed. I replaced the crank sensor, mass airflow sensor, new motorcraft plugs n new motorcraft plug wires and now she runs great

Glad you got it fixed, but wish you hadn't replaced a bunch of parts you didn't need to. I doubt there was anything wrong with those sensors.

I'd have figured an issue with either the plugs or wires, I doubt those sensors were bad.

Well i figure the trucks 21 yrs old and it has around 230,000 miles ive had issues with the mass airflow sensor before and the crank sensor was only $25 and it was a quick swap so what the heck. My next project is gonna be aftermarket heads new lifters an pushrods and probably rockers mine has the dreaded "tap tap tap" been listening to it for 6 years.

Back