Please teach me about Hydro Steering for SAS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please teach me about Hydro Steering for SAS

crazyflights

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St. Joseph, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 1 ton Jeep
To anyone else that has Gen 2 explorer with SOHC 4.0 engine ,SAS and is using anysort of Hyrdo assist or full Hydro steering, please give input, thoughts, was it worth the money.
Ive been doing some reading and almost think I would be better setup with just full hyrdo steering, my rig doesnt see much highway use?? Any thought would be aprreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please post pics of your setup also.
I have Gen 1 steering box mounted on inside of frame, was turning 33s fine, but going to 37s and planning on getting more aggressive.

I don't quite reach that criteria that you listed but here's my thoughts on it.
I'm running a IFS toy box drilled and tapped for hydro. I'm running a 1.5"x8" ram(i'm pretty sure that's the size, I've forgotten by now) on a D44 and I love it. I'm able to turn 40" tires on and off road easily, places where other's are fighting to keep their steering wheel from turning, I don't have to put any effort into it. The downfall I saw is that quick steering manuevers are hindered by the speed of my ram, probably due to my power steering pump.

My 2 cents - If you are still planning on using it on the street every once and awhile go hydro assist because full hydro steering is technically illegal for highway use. (There is some law about having to have a mechanical linkage of some sort to control a steerable axle in case a hose breaks so you can still steer)

If trail only go full hydro, it cleans up a lot of stuff in my opinion.

I like how full hydro get rid of my steering bar and all pressure on frame, but legality is questionable??
Hyrdo assist might be the way to go, i know my gen 1 box can be tapped, and on ohv setups they can get better pump for more flow, but I'm concerned about getting enough pressure thru sohc steering pump, is there upgrade for it?

..but I'm concerned about getting enough pressure thru sohc steering pump, is there upgrade for it?
I tried to see whether or not the line pressure can be bumped up on the SOHC's pump but unfortunately, taking apart the pump's flow-piston to get to its pressure spring destroys it (unlike the P-series pump).

flow_piston_open.jpg

My thread of trying to bump the SOHC's pressure:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190649

Ok still searching for more info, thinking SOHC 4.0 powersteering pump wont cut it for the steering box and ram, but if i were to do full hydro I think it would?

Back