• Register Today It's free!

Plenum - URGENT

Mirge

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Eddie Bauer
I just had my 1998 Ford Explorer 4.0L SOHC motor rebuilt... it is our only vehicle and my wife is 8 months pregnant. They said the old intake plenum is warped and won't seal... causing a vacuum leak and I need a new plenum.

I called parts stores (O'Reilly, Autozone, Carquest, etc) and then called a local Ford parts department... they said they don't have them anymore--period. Don't make 'em.. don't sell 'em. They have ones for 2001 and newer I was told, and those were pricey.. but wouldn't work anyway.

How in the heck can I get my hands on a GOOD (working) plenum for my motor?? Drove it home and it's ridiculous... they are looking for one supposedly, and we are trying to find one as well... heaven forbid my wife goes into labor and I can't break 40mph w/out tearing stuff up!

Please advise... thank you all in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here ya go. Its a 2000. Not sure if there are any differences in the intake between those years. http://tulsa.craigslist.org/pts/1487904518.html

Try to have a backup plan if your wife goes into labor. See if there are any friends, family, or neighbors who will be able to get you to the hospital. Good luck!

Thanks for the quick response!

According to Ford, (wife corrected me)... 99-2001 plenum will not work. Anybody know the validity of that?

I think they are taking you for a ride - the intake plenum (which are plastic) have rubber seals at the bottom which are replaceable.

Seals look like these:
attachment.php

Check junk yards, cheapest quickest way.

check with some of your local auto salvage yards or recyclers. You should be able to pick up one fairly cheap. Good luck.

That's what my immediate suspicion (sp?) was too... them taking me for a ride.

But, they aren't charging anything additional for labor. I had a set of Felpro gaskets (upper & lower) in the truck for them to use... not a clue if they used them or not. I *assume* they did.

They built the motor that was in my 98 GT... forged rotating assembly. Ended up going into a 96 GT that I bought w/ a Vortech supercharger & 100 shot... motor held up fantastically. I trust 'em... but dang, given the circumstances, I'm just a little bit frazzled to say the least.

I'm officially broke now, having spent $2700 on this rebuild... and now I'm wondering what if this DOESN'T fix the problem? What then? lol... I can't keep throwing money at it.

Ford faxed over a diagram... easiest way to explain specifically what part I'm after.. I threw a quick red box around the specific part:

intake_plenum_diagram.png

If that's too small (I can't tell from Preview Post), the direct link is:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_9SpWVzrtyGM/SxcJjYBFc0I/AAAAAAAAAEw/4aca2PHFlq0/s144/intake_plenum_diagram.jpg

EDIT: Ugh, still small... trying this:
intake_plenum_diagram.png

EDIT AGAIN:
Well, it has a vacuum leak for sure... but I can't tell if they put the gasket (upper or lower) in there or not... I can't really tell without pulling it off.. and I'm hesitant to do that because then they might try to use that as a reason to void the warranty..

Is it the upper or lower intake manifold that's the problem. Uppers are quite expensive new. You can still get them from http://www.fastpartsnetwork.com (site sponsor here) but the upper runs $1024 :eek:. The lower is $72.

Another choice is the local boneyard. You should be able to get a good used one relatively cheaply.

Is it the upper or lower intake manifold that's the problem. Uppers are quite expensive new. You can still get them from http://www.fastpartsnetwork.com (site sponsor here) but the upper runs $1024 :eek:. The lower is $72.

Another choice is the local boneyard. You should be able to get a good used one relatively cheaply.

YIKES... that's way too much lol.. $1024.

I can find the lower locally at any parts store for $55, or from Summit for $42.

Upper I can't find anywhere... gonna call some salvage yards first thing in the morning and maybe try to get lucky with that. If not, I don't know what to do. I just basically spent $2700 for nothing, and don't have a working truck!

Does anybody happen to know what year uppers will fit on my truck?

Does it matter what year? Or does it just matter that it's a 4.0L SOHC motor? I imagine year matters... maybe within the same generation? I dunno... ugh, I'm so frustrated and feel so helpless it's ridiculous. Wife has been crying the entire (long) drive home and non-stop since we got home. Makes me feel like less of a man for SURE.

Very nice, didn't know about that site :)

Looked it up... closest one is 167 miles away, but they have an upper from a 1997 Explorer 4.0L SOHC... same motor, one year earlier than our truck. Wonder if that'd fit? Just in case I can't find anything from local boneyards?

Does anybody happen to know what year uppers will fit on my truck?

Does it matter what year? Or does it just matter that it's a 4.0L SOHC motor? I imagine year matters... maybe within the same generation? I dunno... ugh, I'm so frustrated and feel so helpless it's ridiculous. Wife has been crying the entire (long) drive home and non-stop since we got home. Makes me feel like less of a man for SURE.

You have to have a plenum from a 4.0 SOHC. Second gens are your best bet. You should find ton of them at the boneyard. I have quite a few second gens gens in just the local yard. If you can't find one in your area let me know and I'll check down here for you.

Don't worry we'll get you back on the road. :)

Not only does it have to be from a 2nd gen, but there is more than one plenum design for the SOHC within the 2nd gen years. But that 97 will work - I've seen a 97 SOHC and a 98 SOHC side by side - pretty much the same engine.

Okay so what I would do is, instead of replacing the intake plenum, I'd first replace the seals because that only takes a few hours. If it turns out that the plenum is indeed warped, then you would still need to replace the seals anyway so you'd have the new ones on hand already.

I have my intake off the engine so I took some pics- on the left is the upper and on the right is the lower:
plenum1.jpg

The black rubber seals between the upper and the lower (lower on the right, upside down upper in the background):
plenum2.jpg

The white rubber seals that go between the lower and the head (lower is upside down):
plenum3.jpg

Okay so what I would do is, instead of replacing the intake plenum, I'd first replace the seals because that only takes a few hours. If it turns out that the plenum is indeed warped, then you would still need to replace the seals anyway so you'd have the new ones on hand already.

I have my intake off the engine so I took some pics- on the left is the upper and on the right is the lower:
plenum1.jpg

The black rubber seals between the upper and the lower (lower on the right, upside down upper in the background):
plenum2.jpg

The white rubber seals that go between the lower and the head (lower is upside down):
plenum3.jpg

Do you think it could be the upper & lower gaskets? I'm tempted to pull off the upper intake manifold (plenum?) just to see if there's a dang gasket there or not... but if I do that, I don't want it biting me in the butt later. I'm at a loss... not a mechanic by any means, but I'm not totally ignorant either.. at least, I tell myself that :).

Thank you SO MUCH everybody for your feedback and help, it means the world of me & my wife... having people care is tremendously helpful to my wife especially... we feel pretty stranded right now heh.

Any idea what a fair price would be for the upper from the salvage yard? Brand new 99-01 from Ford stealership is $550 give or take... for the upper part of the manifold (plenum?).

Cant imagine it would be that much. A quick search and i found this. $20 http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/pts/1482872467.html

I would say less than $100 at any junkyard. Considering a whole engine at a junkyard runs 300-500, i wouldn't expect it to be too much.

Cant imagine it would be that much. A quick search and i found this. $20 http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/pts/1482872467.html

I would say less than $100 at any junkyard. Considering a whole engine at a junkyard runs 300-500, i wouldn't expect it to be too much.

Awesome... that's what I wanted to hear. Now I hope it's a reality lol...

If I hafta shell out another $100 to find out if it fixes it or not... worst case, it doesn't fix it.. and I'm only out $100 (give or take). I can live with that. I'll re-sell it if I can on eBay or craigslist or something if it doesn't work...

---
EDIT: Once I get a little extra cash, I'll DEFINITELY be donating or what have you for an Elite membership... you guys are phenomenal :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back