• Register Today It's free!

plug gap

D

Reaction score
City, State
Olympia Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ranger XLT off road
Does the recomended plug gap of .052-.056 for my 91 seemlike a rather large gap to anyone? My plug gapper doesn't even go that big, i have to use a feeler gauge + the gapper to set them to those specs. Am i setting my gaps wrong? Is this why my x continues to shuddder when lugging or accelerating. see my thread running bad for list of work done tring to solve this problem.

Nope, thats sounds fine. Mine is recommended @ .054

I have found that running a slightly larger Gap 56 does work better than 52. When we were running 52 we had more pinging during hot days on the cheap gas..

When the motor started to have problems (cracked head etc) closing the gap helped it run better at idle.. but that was only to keep it running slightly smoother..

btw.. one of my books (cant remember if it was my chiltons or my hayes) had the gap shown incorrectly.. it showed 48-52.. but underhood shows 54 and my other book shows 52-56

~Mark

Use the underhood specs for the spark plug gap. Not the manual. It should be located on a sticker somewhere near the radiator. Whenever I buy new plugs they come about .40 out of the box and I have to gap them to about .54
Buy a better quality gapping tool (one with round wire gappers) instead of the slide kind. They are more accurate.

Back