• Register Today It's free!

Plugs and Fuel Filter at 120K

ShawnTRD

Reaction score
City, State
Spener, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Limited
Well yesterday the wife was driving to town and the CEL started flashing and she said it had lost power. I got home and for P0301 (Cylinder 1 One Misfire Detected). So the shop I took it to today yeah they believe I was right that it needs plugs. So I had them do plugs (NGK 3403 G-Power Platinum), and fuel filter. Now everything is running great again. The shop was going to install Autolite Double Platinum for $12 each. But I only trust NGK. So grand total was $261.00

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got home and for P0301 (Cylinder 1 One Misfire Detected). So the shop I took it to today yeah they believe I was right that it needs plugs. So I had them do plugs (NGK 3403 G-Power Platinum), and fuel filter. Now everything is running great again. The shop was going to install Autolite Double Platinum for $12 each. But I only trust NGK. So grand total was $261.00
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

$261 for plugs and a fuel filter is a pretty steep price to pay. Double platinum plugs sell for approx: $4-$5 each and a fuel filter costs $10, so they got you for about $200 in labor + tax, sounds high. That whole job should be no more than an hour labor. I know repair shops add a surcharge to the parts they install on your vehicle, but it sounds like they gouged you a bit. The other shop that wanted $12 each for Autolite Double Platinums has been smoking too much dope. I know Autolite single platinums can be had for $3.25 or so each at parts stores, so I figure $4 + each for double's, so they tried to nail you for a $7-$8 mark up per plug, outrageous! Remember this on repair shop parts surcharges, they don't go out and pick up those parts themselves from the suppliers, they get the parts delivered to them by the parts stores or dealerships for "free. Yet they charge us a mark up on the parts. I had a repair shop do some diagnostics on my Ex last March, and they changed out my previously installed Bosch Platinum Plus 4's ($6 each) and installed new OE Autolite single platinums and charged me a little over $4 per plug and 30 minutes labor to install them or $35. I got a local guy with a lift in his backyard garage to do my fuel filter for $15 labor (took 15 minutes) and it cost me $10 for the fuel filter. I paid $84 total.

v6 or v8? I got motorcraft plugs and wires for 60, and a fuel filter for 8 bucks. It was 75 for the install so It cost me 143 bucks. Did they do the wires as well?

Regardless, glad to see it was a simple tune up to fix it.

They saw you coming and can't wait for you to come back.

Autolite Copper plugs cost a total of $16, plug wires were $35, and fuel filter was $12. Took about an hour and 45 minutes.

Back