Plugs and mystery slot | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Plugs and mystery slot

Daisywheels

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT XP SOHC V6
I swear I posted this, but maybe I did something wrong - sorry if it is a dupe!

My neighbor buddy, along with my small hands and arms, finished changing the plugs. However we noticed a hole to the left of the front plug on bank one. We cannot identify it through that stupid Haynes manual. The hole looks like it takes a spark plug, but I got all six in. I know you all would need a pic, so here goes (I can't upload pics directly here);

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ykhe46dxolwnptv/bank 1 plug1.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thx!

Daisy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it looks like it might be a small freeze plug, or maybe it's just a hole that is used during manufacturing, or is for some accessory your truck doesn't have. i wouldn't concern myself with it. engines and chassis have lots of holes with nothing in them.

mystery hole

Thanks Koda, I was thinking it was for some kind of sensor. One less thing to buy!

Daisy

it looks like it might be a small freeze plug, or maybe it's just a hole that is used during manufacturing, or is for some accessory your truck doesn't have. i wouldn't concern myself with it. engines and chassis have lots of holes with nothing in them.

Thought mine was for a lifting eye bolt. The mystery continues. :scratch:

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=1332423

http://www.scribd.com/doc/232139917/Engine-Support-Insulators-in-Vehicle-Repair

EDIT- Oops! IS a bolt provision for a lifting eye on mine. (#26 Front and #57 Rear)

n0007209.gif

Possibly block heater ? IIRC the slot is on the right side.

SOHC motor? to me it almost looks like the bolt hole for the trans dipstick tube

Yes, it's a SOHC. It doesn't appear to be related to the transmission dipstick.

Out of curiosity, what is a freeze plug, and their function, if any? As someone mentioned, it does look like it could just hold an extra plug, but who would do that? My best guess right now it is just a generic drilled opening in the head made for other reasons on other models.

A freeze plug's function is to be the weak point if your engine coolant freezes.
The ice in the water galleries expands and pushes the plug out instead of cracking the block.

They are also the pour points and risers allowing for displacement in the casting process.

Does anything come out of the hole when the engine is running?

If not, meh......

Does anything come out of the hole when the engine is running?

If not, meh......

Yeah, there is some green gooey stuff poring out. Better call Ghost busters! LOL. No seriously there is nothing coming out. I don't have a compression guage, but I'll feel for air out or suction with just my finger. Thanks all. And thanks Flash for the definition of a freeze plug. Never heard of that before.

Back