• Register Today It's free!

Plugs and Wires

rtbrjason

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.0 EB AWD
I just put some cheapie platinum plugs in my 98 5.0, and it started running slightly worse. While doing the plugs the person putting them in told me I should have done wires as they were a bit rusty and looked original.

I'm about to do plugs and wires now, and wanted to make sure these 2 choices were agreeable with the experts here.

I'm looking to get a set of standard Bosch wires and a set of NGK v-power plugs. I've always used the NGKs in past vehicles with great luck. The Bosch just seem to be the best choice at my local autoparts stores. Comments or suggestions?

For comparisson I got a quote from my Ford stealership. They want $303 for plugs/wires installed. I'd rather have them do it, but I'm kind of cheap and think I can do it myself through the wheel wells. About $200 of that was parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just did my 98 Mountaineer last night. The hardest part was removing wire #4 from the clips on the valve cover bolts. Other than that it was a breeze.

I would either run Motorcraft or Autolite platinum plugs.

I think that is what I put in this last time when I just did plugs. I suppose it is possible I only need wires, but it definitely started running rougher and was harder to start after these new plugs were installed. The new plugs aren't gapable at all and seem to have little spark contact area. I was thinking of anything non platinum. I could just leave the plugs and do new wires, but I have a bad feeling about these plugs, and hate to do this job twice.

do em your self and save. when i was a moron in the summer and didnt know how to get to the plugs, i spent 300 plus at midas for a tune up. im such an idiot.

One note when buying wires... TAKE THEM OUT OF THE BOX AND CHECK THE RESISTANCE OF EVERY SINGLE WIRE. You will be amazed at how many wires have infinite resistance (ie the core is broken and/or the clip was not crimped properly). It took 3 boxes of Bosh wires before I was able to make 1 good set.

Actually it was so bad I called the Bosh rep to complain. He showed up the next day with free windshield wipers, a hat, spark plugs, 2 more boxes of wires, some stickers. Apparently, they do not test the wires before packaging them..

Magnecor!!

I think a lot of the time what happens when people change the plugs is to get the plugs out they wiggle the wires around a lot and this will destroy the core conductor in a set of ignition wires especially if they have any age on them. Then if the boot sticks you are in double trouble when you pull on them. This is especially true if the wires are of carbon core construction. Yes resistance readings will tell all.

I just bought my 97 explorer, it had a slight hesitation so I changed plugs, wires...sea foamed it as well but I went with platinum autolite plugs and autolite 8mm wires and I'm very happy with them. Weren't that expensive either, I went through the wheel well for the passenger side to change them then just through the engine bay for the drivers, wasn't all that difficult with swivel attachments and a few extensions.

Rockauto lists 2 different Motorcraft plug part numbers without anything else distinguishing the difference other than price. Does anyone know what the difference is in the following part #s?

Motorcraft Plugs #SP432 @ $3.98 ea
Motorcraft Plugs #SP413 @ $2.65 ea

Thanks guys..

I wouldnt use any other plug but Motorcraft. I have heard too many people having problems with other plugs and then they switch to OEM plugs and the problems are gone. They may be a little bit more in price, I am not sure cuz I have never even thought to use any other brand, but your engine is designed to work with the Motorcraft plugs and the Motorcraft plugs are designed to work with your engine. So why use anything else? That is just my opinion.

Jeff

I agree, but I also hear that motorcraft are made by Autolite. I also feel that copper plugs perform better than Platinum. Platinum is only popular because it lasts a long time, like 4x longer than regular copper plugs, but changing them in an X is a real *****.

I remember the old mythe back in the 80's that swapping out copper plugs for Bosch Platinums made the vehicle run much better and increased hp :banghead:

Well I was one of the first to drop like $6 a plug to test the theory, didn't notice a thing. The mythe today continues with Bosch +4's.

JASON, I would go with Motorcraft all the way, OEM recomended is always better than aftermarket. As for the two different Motorcraft plugs listed at your store...I was told by my store (yesterday) that one model has a higher spark temp. They will both work, but you can always check your OEM plugs you pulled out for a part number and cross-reference them through the store's computer.

Back