Plugs, Coils and Plug Wires . . . Change? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Plugs, Coils and Plug Wires . . . Change?

blakemiller

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
I've gotten mixed feedback on if/when Plugs Coils and Spark Plug Wires should be fixed. I'm having some performance and running problems on my '94 Sport that has 130k miles which is in a different thread. Those seem to be in the electronics, though, and they just popped up.

On a similar note, however, for a few years now, my engine would loose power, usually on a hill/climb and after running for a few hours, say on a road trip. Sometimes bringing me to a halt to allow cool-down before continuing.

Someone told me that the material used in the coil on these don't do well after age/heat fatigue and it should be replaced. Similar with plug wires, i've heard mixed feedback on when and even if wires and coils should be changed. How much are these at local shops?

I do keep the plugs changed, but not sure on exactly how often I should change them.

Thoughts? Thanks

Platinum plugs should be changed every 60K miles, along with wires. Coil packs should be replaced as needed.

I'd start with plugs and wires, then get packs later if you need them. Wires can be expensive if you have the work done for you.

Plug and wire failures are usually noticed on acceleration or going up a hill. This is when more than average voltage is needed.

Blake, if it stops or loses power completely when hot, I would suspect something in addition to the plugs and wires. Maybe you have an ignition control module going bad?

You can check the coil pack with an ohmmeter. I don't know the values right off, but all three coils should show consistent readings. Kinda like doing a cylinder compression test...... :D

Back