Plugs under the hood that aren't plugged into anything | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Plugs under the hood that aren't plugged into anything

Triton46

Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey all,

While I was routing around getting the O2 wire secured I noticed a few plugs that aren't plugged into anything. The first is at the back of the engine on the passenger side. If you're staring towards the windshield, it is to the right of the air compressor (large black pill looking thing-a-ma-jig). The plug looks like the end of an Explorer light bulb. To the right of the plug is another plug that looks similar and is plugged into something on the engine. The one I am referring to is on a seperate wire harness.

The other plug I noticed is on the driver side over the wheel well inside the engine compartment. There are a few plugs that have pressure screws holding them onto the wheel well but one isnt plugged into anything. What are these? They can't all be diagnostic ports as I do not have OBD-II. So what are they? Accessories?

Don't worry about those - I have the same under my hood. I think that they are for hooking the truck up to the computer diagnostics tool for engine code readouts.

Most of the unused connectors on your wireing harness are for options that the factory either didn't install on your Explorer, or decided to relocate after the original design of the harness. Don't worry about them, nothing is missing or disconnected.

Back