Plz help!!! Explorer is overheating!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Plz help!!! Explorer is overheating!!!

slag2003

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer XLS
Hey everyone my 02 explorer just started overheating. I noticed all the coolant was gone so put a new jug in the coolant reservoir. And it worked fine for about a day and now i noticed that all the coolant is gone and there is some steam coming off my engine. Also looks like some brown fluid is dripping off one of the spark plug lines by the engine. It is the 4.0 engine. I don't know what it is but can someone please help me quickly! Thanks so much!!!
#

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

head gasket? can you be more specific on where the leak is coming from?

If the coolant that is leaking is brown, there's a good chance that its mixing with the oil which means you may have a blown head gasket. Here's a quick test if you don't have a compression gauge handy to test for a head gasket leak:

With the truck cold, remove the radiator cap and have someone turn the key over as you take a few steps back and observe the open radiator. When the truck turns over, do you get a bubbling in the radiator that pushes fluid out of it? If so, there's a good chance you have blown head gasket. Also check your oil. If the oil on your dipstick looks bubbly like dish soap, that means coolant is getting into the engine which is another good sign that you have a blown head gasket.

If this is the case, don't drive it anymore, you will just run the motor hot and cause further damage which will then call for major work to be done on the heads. There is also a chance that the oil leak or coolant leak is not directly related and that your thermostat is jacked, but with how much coolant you are losing it sounds like a head gasket.

Ok so it looks like it leaks somewhere beside the spark plugs almost seems like its coming straight from the side of the engine. And I'm sorry it didn't drain all my coolant, probably just an 1/8 of it. And the leakage is under my explorer on the driveway. It leaks a brown fluid. So still think its a head gasket? If so how much does that cost?

Back