PLZ HELP! How to use aftermarket Head unit with factory JBL system? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PLZ HELP! How to use aftermarket Head unit with factory JBL system?

97 Eddie Bauer v8

Reaction score
City, State
Reading Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Eddie Bauer
I have a 97 Eddie Bauer Explorer *duh* lol, and I have installed a Eclipse 7301 double din head unit. How do i get sound out of my speakers?? I have that damn system with everything in the back , even the antenna wire goes back there to the factory amps! If i can't use the factory amp, how do I by-pass it. I tried MANY different bypass harnesses claimed to work with premium sound 95+ explorers and they didn't even fit right let alone work. I tried finding some old posts i've seen in the past about this subject but couldn't find them this time. I'm sick of not having audio. What do i have to do to get this thing to work?

You're not going to want the adapter for the "Ford Premium Sound System." You need the adapter that specifically says "Ford JBL Sound System." It's made by Peripheral and can be bought at Best Buy and Circuit City for around $50. It's silver and about half the size of a pack of cigarettes. It lets you keep your JBL amps and speakers and use a new head unit. I used one with the JBL system in my 92 before I redid the whole thing.

peace

Mike

I don't think that's going to do it. I have bought many adapters and none of them worked. Even if it did, how am I to get AM/FM when the antenna cable goes back to the amp?

Thank you
Chris

Back