Plz help troubleshoot 5R55E 97 4x4 4.0L | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Plz help troubleshoot 5R55E 97 4x4 4.0L

Gannz

Reaction score
My wifes X wouldn't move in any gear the other day. Fluid was darker than it should be but still a reddish brown. Smelled a little burnt but not too strong. She said there were no warning symptoms and the O/D light never flashed. It would limp around if you turned it off, let it sit, and restarted.

I towed it home and dropped the pan and it didn't look too bad. There were a few flakes of metal but nothing real big and not very much of it. I cleaned the pan, changed the filter, and filled it with fluid. Then I flushed it with 8 more quarts as described in the sticky. Took it out for a test drive and it ran like a champ.

She took it to work and it ran fine on the way there (about 10 miles) although she did say that the O/D light flashed. On the way home it stopped moving again after about 8 miles and after she stopped at a stop sign. It sat for about 10 minutes until I could get there and then I drove it home. It was running ok when I drove it home but after I got it onto my road and did some downshifting and stopping/starting it would slip. The engine would rev and it would move a little bit but not enough for the amount of RPM's it was turning. If I stopped completely I'd have to turn it off for 30 sec. or so and restart it to get it going again... and then it would barely move.

I put my code reader on it but I'm not getting any transmission codes. Sorry for the basic question but do I need a specific transmission code reader or will my ElmScan 5 show me the transmission codes if it were throwing any?

Anyone have any ideas of what's wrong? Clutches burnt up? Bad torque converter? Why would the fluid/filter change and flush work for 15 miles? The fluid in the pan is still like new but what was coming out of the cooler during the flush was still pretty dark. Do I need to flush more fluid from the system? The fluid is also a little overfilled. I was going to drain a little from it today but didn't get around to it yet... could something that simple possibly be my problem?

Oh, the tranny has 234k on it and I'm ashamed to say I don't think I ever changed the fluid in the 9 years that we've owned her. Is it shot or can I maybe still bring it back to life? I found a rebuilt 5R55E for $400 so I'll just be swapping them out if mine needs rebuilt. The torque converter and rebuild kit cost about $300 so there's no sense in messing with mine if it needs rebuilt.

Back