po420 best repair options

owl wolf

Reaction score
City, State
monmouth county, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT + ?
T minus 44 days and counting

On my 97' the obd-2 is sending back code ( P0420 ).. which I beleive is cat efficiency bank 1. i did a short search and found that this code has a wide variety of problematic possibilities. I failed dmv. inspection, I didnt even know the light was on....... being that I now have learned the bulb is dead.
I dont think 0/2 sensor can be the problem because their upstream of the cats in the exuast flow. I do feel slight lag but nothing that would raise a brow, sometime feels like the engines slightly under pressure but this isnt that uncommon specially with vehicles w/ larger that spec. tires who have yet to regear. My gas mileage has also droped considerably in the 6 mo.. kinda making it look like the converters. So Ive turned to fellow explorer enthusiasts to help.
I dont have money fallen outa my socks so im trying to be frugal. has any one had an after market exuast that might help or found the code is usualy caused by sensors or the like (BLA,BLA). any feed back helps.. :D :D thanks

if this is in the wrong forum thread i apologize im not classifing it an emergency ...worst come to worst ill reset in the parking lot line :rolleyes: :cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump.................

No modified exuast sys. out there aye. :roll:

Well.... the good news is that you have a 97 which is OBD-II. Hook it up to a scanner and look at the sensor readouts, and the fuel trims. I'm guessing you have an overrich condition (fuel pressure regulator problem? maybe) and over time might actually have killed your cat. The data is there to be mined, don't waste time guessing and replacing use the computer in the Explorer to tell you what's going on. THEN diagnose.

I already know that the catalytic converters are shot.. Ive had the code coming back for like 25,000 mi. (talk about letting things hang). the power loss is minimal although noticable. My post was to find if anyone has experience with an after market product being that ford your 1st born on those.
by the way good call I had a factory defective fuel filter about a yr. ago that I drove with for a bit, before relizing that it was a problem. a couple of my buddies suggested that this my have suybjected the cats to unpreffered conditions...
so any good buys out there.

Glacier991 you are always on the ball their aye.....(dtr sensor)

I know Chrysler has a 75k mile warranty on ANY emision part including cats. I dunno if Ford has this same warranty but I would think for a price of a cat and the labor, (even if you do the work it is costing something) it would be a good idea to look into.

Back