• Register Today It's free!

PO455, PO457, PO171, PO174.

Brad Holcomb

Reaction score
City, State
Monticello, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
So my current problem with my Explorer is it bucking and sputtering under load, rough idling with occasional stalling as well as terrible gas mileage. My current codes are po455, po457 (I've determined these were from a bad fuel filler neck), I also have po171 and po174. The bank 1 and 2 lean codes are very recent. My question is could the bad filler neck be the cause of the lean codes?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To continue this thread and my issues, I was coming home last week driving at highway speeds when my explorer completely died. No struggle, no stutter, just died. A new check engine light appeared. I can't remember what the code was but it was something along the lines of the engine reached its maximum lean limit and it wouldn't let the car run. It would fire and stall instantly but would not run. Fast forward to today after I got the upper and lower intake gaskets changed along with the EGR O-ring. I no longer have any of the above mentioned codes but I do have a never before seen P1409 code. The explorer is still running rough at idle and heavy engine load. It will have trouble starting but will fire up and idle like a big cam muscle car, after about 30 seconds it will idle to around 1200 then back down to 850 with a smooth idle. When idling normally if I floor it it will stutter hard until I let off the pedal a bit then it will act normal bringing the rpms up. Any thoughts? I've double checked vacuum line connections and I torqued all bolts on the intake accordingly.

P1409 is malfunction in the EGR vacuum regulator (EGRVR) solenoid circuit. The solenoid resistance should be between 26 and 40 ohms. Check the connector and wires for damage and if it's all good, then swap out your EGRVR solenoid.

Thank you for your help Spuddy, I overlooked the small vacuum line plug that connected to the EGRVR. Code is gone now and my idle and start up seem to be back to normal BUT...my heavy engine load stuttering is still around. From an idle to WOT will only get me to a 1700 rpm stutter till I ease of the pedal a small amount then it acts like it is breathing again. It is the same when going highway speed putting the pedal down which normally would drop a gear and accelerate. Clogged catalytic converter possibly? I'm going to drive as much as I can to try to get a code to come up.

Back