PO735 - On a completely rebuilt/reman'd transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PO735 - On a completely rebuilt/reman'd transmission

donovanbrock

Reaction score
City, State
Woodbridge, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport SOHC
So, I've had my explorer in the shop for the past month now, and the tech can't get past this one hiccup.

Back Story,

99 Sport 4.0 SOHC with 136k on it.

Previous problems were O/D light flashing and a very hard shift from 1-2. Then my Reverse band blew out on me.

Basically, I took it to the local shop, and he has replaced everything in the transmission, including servo's, case, converter, solenoids, valve body, adjusted bands and linkage.

He has performed continuity testing on all the lines. Driving with O/D off, no problem exists, however, I don't want to have to do this all the time.

He's trying to find a new PCU, as he thinks this is all that can be left. Trouble code is PO735. Anyone have any ideas, or insight on if this could be the cause?

Thanks for everything!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure that you have 2nd gear? Can you count the shifts with OD off? If no 2nd it would point to the SSC solenoid.

Just spent most of the day riding around road testing this thing. It seems [breaking it down mathematically] that 9/10 times it shifts fine through 1-4. Second engages just fine.

It is a nice tight roll from 1-2, smooth transition 2-3, 3-4. 4-5 at times will engage fine (not usually though). Normally, 4-5 ends up trying to engage, and then the O/D light starts flashing. SOMETIMES in 2nd the O/D light flashes, but it is very rare.

This thing is starting to become more of a nuisance than anything else. lol

i just want to know whats going on. Took it to 2 more shops as well today [one of which was the dealership] and NONE of them had any idea.

The fact that the OD light did flash when in 2nd indicates slippage, the same valve is uses for 1-2 and 4-5 and it is controlled by the SSC solenoid, also the OD band is applied for both 2nd and 5th gears, the OD band servo could be leaking, more torque is put on it in 5th gear so it would slip easier. The other shops may have just blew you off since they didn't do the work and don't want to help another shop.

The fact that the OD light did flash when in 2nd indicates slippage, the same valve is uses for 1-2 and 4-5 and it is controlled by the SSC solenoid, also the OD band is applied for both 2nd and 5th gears, the OD band servo could be leaking, more torque is put on it in 5th gear so it would slip easier. The other shops may have just blew you off since they didn't do the work and don't want to help another shop.

So, given that the shop that originally did the work says they replaced all servos and solenoids needs to recheck their work?

I have no problem confronting them about it, just wanted to make sure it couldn't be anything else.

D

Even a new solenoid may not work properly, the servo could be new but may have got damaged. Keep in mind I am guessing here as I have no idea what was done or not. I am looking at a chart for what is applied in 5th gear and 2nd uses some of the same. These valve bodies are known for wear so it is hard to say what exactly is the problem. I would think a shop should have a procedure for checking problems and then checking the possible causes. I once took a AXOD trans out with a leaking front seal that had been recently rebuilt and seal replaced. I found a nick on the converter hub and looking closely at the seal there was a neat little cut in the seal lip, point is things happen.

Back