Points to look for | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Points to look for

skeneguy

Reaction score
City, State
VANCOUVER CANADA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
Hi,
I do not own an Explorer yet but I am currently shopping around for a 92-94 model. Is there any areas I should look at in particular and do these models have timing belts or chains?
Thanks

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

ma96782

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT, 4dr
If you're set on getting a 1st GEN............IMHO.........get the '94.

Slightly better trans, than other 1st Gens. and R-134a A/c system. Not to mention that it was the last year for the model.

If........I were to choose again, I'd get a 2nd Gen. (better trans then the 1st Gen and optional 4.0L sohc engine). Better for towing.

Prices aren't that much different around here.

Aloha, Mark

BTW.....it IS a timing chain.....the 4.0L ohv is a "tough engine".......though common complaints are-overheat and crack heads. 160 HP.

The 4.0L sohc has 205 HP.......but, the early engines suffered from bad design of the timing chain, "cassette/tensioners." Some were replaced on re-call.........don't get the sohc unless the work was done. Don't KNOW when the problem was fixed at the factory level.

<

snoborder42

Reaction score
City, State
Maple Valley/Downtown Seattle, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT 4x4
If you do get the first gen explorers I highly reccomend that you try to find one with a manual tranny. It will give you much less problems. But if you don't want a manual tranny go with a 95 and newer exporer. And by the way the 4.0L has timing chains not belts.

<

skeneguy

Reaction score
City, State
VANCOUVER CANADA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
Thanks for the helpful quick responses. I'm not really hung up on a Gen 1, I was just under the impression somehow that the Gen 2's were more problematic, can't remember where I got that impression though. It would have to be auto, wife's orders and she's be the primary user, I have an F150.
Cheers

<

ma96782

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT, 4dr
1st and 2nds each have their, "issues."

And, some folks just like the looks of the 1st, as opposed to the 2nd Gens. Though, I guess it's a matter of, "taste."

Aloha, Mark

PS.......the 4.0L sohc was found in the 1997 and later vehicles as an option......don't know when they became the standard. Check the VIN# at the dealership to see if the re-call work was done......IF NOT.....walk away.....IMHO.

Also, consider the 2nd Gens....V8 vs. V6:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166265

<

marragtop

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
balt, md
Year, Model & Trim Level
91, 92, 95, and 2000 xlts
Go with gen II if possible. The trans and radius arm bushings are enough reasons to stay away from gen I.

<

skeneguy

Reaction score
City, State
VANCOUVER CANADA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
Thanks for all the advice, I went with a gen II in the end. A 1995 one owner XLT with 135,000km

<

unclemeat

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
I would only look at the Gen I if you pland to do suspension modifications and wheel it.

<

StillKicken

Reaction score
City, State
Harlem, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Everyone gets lucky once in a while...Hence my auto tranny with 267K miles and still pumping! This truck is a champ! Have always loved my Fords

<

skeneguy

Reaction score
City, State
VANCOUVER CANADA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
Well the wifes MPV wasn't aging gracefully despite the TLC it got, my 24 year old F150 has been so good to me I decided to replace the Mazda and add another Ford to the driveway.

<

StillKicken

Reaction score
City, State
Harlem, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Skeneguy...
Good luck with your X. i love mine. Have had it for 9 years. Will drive it till it blows up!

<