Points to look for

skeneguy

Reaction score
City, State
VANCOUVER CANADA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
Hi,
I do not own an Explorer yet but I am currently shopping around for a 92-94 model. Is there any areas I should look at in particular and do these models have timing belts or chains?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're set on getting a 1st GEN............IMHO.........get the '94.

Slightly better trans, than other 1st Gens. and R-134a A/c system. Not to mention that it was the last year for the model.

If........I were to choose again, I'd get a 2nd Gen. (better trans then the 1st Gen and optional 4.0L sohc engine). Better for towing.

Prices aren't that much different around here.

Aloha, Mark

BTW.....it IS a timing chain.....the 4.0L ohv is a "tough engine".......though common complaints are-overheat and crack heads. 160 HP.

The 4.0L sohc has 205 HP.......but, the early engines suffered from bad design of the timing chain, "cassette/tensioners." Some were replaced on re-call.........don't get the sohc unless the work was done. Don't KNOW when the problem was fixed at the factory level.

If you do get the first gen explorers I highly reccomend that you try to find one with a manual tranny. It will give you much less problems. But if you don't want a manual tranny go with a 95 and newer exporer. And by the way the 4.0L has timing chains not belts.

Thanks for the helpful quick responses. I'm not really hung up on a Gen 1, I was just under the impression somehow that the Gen 2's were more problematic, can't remember where I got that impression though. It would have to be auto, wife's orders and she's be the primary user, I have an F150.
Cheers

1st and 2nds each have their, "issues."

And, some folks just like the looks of the 1st, as opposed to the 2nd Gens. Though, I guess it's a matter of, "taste."

Aloha, Mark

PS.......the 4.0L sohc was found in the 1997 and later vehicles as an option......don't know when they became the standard. Check the VIN# at the dealership to see if the re-call work was done......IF NOT.....walk away.....IMHO.

Also, consider the 2nd Gens....V8 vs. V6:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166265

Go with gen II if possible. The trans and radius arm bushings are enough reasons to stay away from gen I.

Thanks for all the advice, I went with a gen II in the end. A 1995 one owner XLT with 135,000km

I would only look at the Gen I if you pland to do suspension modifications and wheel it.

Everyone gets lucky once in a while...Hence my auto tranny with 267K miles and still pumping! This truck is a champ! Have always loved my Fords

Well the wifes MPV wasn't aging gracefully despite the TLC it got, my 24 year old F150 has been so good to me I decided to replace the Mazda and add another Ford to the driveway.

Skeneguy...
Good luck with your X. i love mine. Have had it for 9 years. Will drive it till it blows up!

Back