Police Explorer vs Sport specs | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Police Explorer vs Sport specs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The other thing I have just discovered is that the police explorer second row seats do not have headrests...

Tells you how much attention I'd been paying. I hadn't even noticed that there were no headrests back there, had to go out, take a look to make sure.

Actually compare the part numbers between a PIU, Sport, and XLT for the items you're wanting to be "heavy duty", and you might be surprised how few differences there actually are. Take the brakes, for instance; the difference is the material in the brake pads and silicone vs rubber for the caliper boots/gaskets. That's it. The PIU brake pads are harder, which makes them harsher and louder.

Most of the suspension components are the same. Different springs/struts, but the rest is the same. Get a Sport with the tow package, and it comes with the oil/trans cooler.

If you buy a Sport and then put an ESP on it, you'll probably be much happier than if you buy a PIU and try to add what's missing.

If you buy a Sport and then put an ESP on it, you'll probably be much happier than if you buy a PIU and try to add what's missing.

Excuse my ignorance... What is ESP?

Extended service plan. It's worth every penny, if you get the Platinum Care, which covers just about everything.

Ford ESP at dealer cost to forum members
Are you talking about premium care or is platinum care a new level that is better than premium care?

It does cover a lot of stuff, but 'just about everything' is not the best way to describe it (lighting is an upcharge, rental is an upcharge, key service is another upcharge, be mindful of the deductible also). I noticed a lot of dealers advertise it as if it is a bumper to bumper warranty, but it doesn't even cover the bumpers... ;-)

Premium care does not cover a whole bunch of stuff:
Examples include: fixed (non-moving) body parts, bumpers, glass,
moldings, ornamentation, paint, rust, sheet metal, structural
underbody framework, side and rearview mirrors (glass and housing),
water leaks, wind noise, weather strips, wheels, wheel studs, wheel
covers, convertible top and bow.

Items listed in your vehicles owner guide such as: batteries of all types
and cables, belts, hoses, hose clamps, brakes (front hub, drums, shoes,
linings, disc rotors, pads), manual transmission clutch disc, exhaust system
(includes catalytic converter), spark plugs, squeaks, rattles, tires, wheel
balancing, wheel alignment, all lamps and lights (LED and HID lights, bulbs,
sealed beam and lenses) except when purchased with New or Incomplete
PremiumCARE Interior/Exterior Lighting Option, fogging of lamp assemblies,
shock absorbers, service adjustments and cleaning.

Other Components and Repairs – Fabric, liners,
fasteners, carpets, dash pad, wiper blades, knobs, trim, upholstery,
physical damage or cosmetic issues, repairs covered by manufacturer
recalls, any insurance or if the vehicle is within the time and mileage
limits of any warranty, repairs caused by improper unreasonable
use, unauthorized alterations or modifications of the vehicle, repairs
caused by lack of required or recommended maintenance, and
scheduled maintenance services. Costs or expenses for the teardown,
rental expense, inspection or diagnosis of failures not covered by this
Agreement. Refer to contract for details.

Are you talking about premium care or is platinum care a new level that is better than premium care?

It does cover a lot of stuff, but 'just about everything' is not the best way to describe it (lighting is an upcharge, rental is an upcharge, key service is another upcharge, be mindful of the deductible also). I noticed a lot of dealers advertise it as if it is a bumper to bumper warranty, but it doesn't even cover the bumpers... ;-)

Premium care does not cover a whole bunch of stuff:
Examples include: fixed (non-moving) body parts, bumpers, glass,
moldings, ornamentation, paint, rust, sheet metal, structural
underbody framework, side and rearview mirrors (glass and housing),
water leaks, wind noise, weather strips, wheels, wheel studs, wheel
covers, convertible top and bow.

Items listed in your vehicles owner guide such as: batteries of all types
and cables, belts, hoses, hose clamps, brakes (front hub, drums, shoes,
linings, disc rotors, pads), manual transmission clutch disc, exhaust system
(includes catalytic converter), spark plugs, squeaks, rattles, tires, wheel
balancing, wheel alignment, all lamps and lights (LED and HID lights, bulbs,
sealed beam and lenses) except when purchased with New or Incomplete
PremiumCARE Interior/Exterior Lighting Option, fogging of lamp assemblies,
shock absorbers, service adjustments and cleaning.

Other Components and Repairs – Fabric, liners,
fasteners, carpets, dash pad, wiper blades, knobs, trim, upholstery,
physical damage or cosmetic issues, repairs covered by manufacturer
recalls, any insurance or if the vehicle is within the time and mileage
limits of any warranty, repairs caused by improper unreasonable
use, unauthorized alterations or modifications of the vehicle, repairs
caused by lack of required or recommended maintenance, and
scheduled maintenance services. Costs or expenses for the teardown,
rental expense, inspection or diagnosis of failures not covered by this
Agreement. Refer to contract for details.

Premium, platinum, whatever...:cool:

All of that stuff is either body or wear items, which generally aren't covered by any extended warranty. As extended warranties go, Premium Care covers almost everything. Besides, if you go through Joel, he quotes it with the add ons, or at least he did for me, without me asking. The only change I had to make was lowering the deductible from $100 to $50.

Not to be a pedant, but the 3/36 is the warranty that covers 'almost everything' (still has exclusions for wear and other items). Premium care is the same as other premium/platinum/total care aftermarket warranties in what it covers, but is far from covering 'almost everything'. No sense in giving people a false sense of security.

I realize there are some big issues an esp may assist in covering, but there are still some issues that it won't cover for explorer owners (door panel separation, water leak in rear, wind noise from exterior trim, b pillar trim falling off, and so on which are not terribly cheap repairs out of pocket for the average person - again lights/fobs/rental are extra cost options which can add another couple hundred to the esp cost).

Just to clarify about going through Joel and add ons - are you saying he includes the add ons (as in no charge) or he just adds them into the cost without asking if you want them? When I talked to Joel, he asked me specifically what coverage I was looking for and quoted it to me the way I asked.

I have to decide within the next week or so on an esp for my 16 PIU and just want to make sure I'm not missing anything in the decision process. I've only had mine for about a year and 10-12K miles, so I don't really know what to expect from them longer term. I try to take very good care of my vehicles and find they typically return the favor and take care of me back, so I have never considered an extended warranty on a vehicle ever, until now.

Sorry for the thread digression.

Not to be a pedant, but the 3/36 is the warranty that covers 'almost everything' (still has exclusions for wear and other items). Premium care is the same as other premium/platinum/total care aftermarket warranties in what it covers, but is far from covering 'almost everything'. No sense in giving people a false sense of security.

Not to be a real pedant, but an ESP is not a warranty at all. It's more similar to an insurance policy. A warranty means the manufacturers assures (warrants) that the vehicle won't break, and if it does, they will fix it. An ESP means that the manufacturer recognizes that the vehicle WILL break, and they're just charging you in advance. It's not just semantics, there are legal differences.

Not to be a real pedant, but an ESP is not a warranty at all. It's more similar to an insurance policy. A warranty means the manufacturers assures (warrants) that the vehicle won't break, and if it does, they will fix it.
You're preaching to the choir - I get it, but right, wrong, or indifferent, they are commonly advertised as extended warranties and that is a commonly used phrase/word to describe them. Just see any of the numerous Ford dealers that advertise the ESP as a "warranty". If you want to be a real pedant, you can send them a sternly worded e-mail... ;-)
Ford Extended Warranty - Geniune Ford ESP Sales
https://www.dahlford.com/Ford-ESP.html

My comments were more pertinent to the "they cover almost everything", when there's quite a bit of stuff they don't cover.

An ESP means that the manufacturer recognizes that the vehicle WILL break, and they're just charging you in advance.
I think you may be conflating a prepaid maintenance plan with an ESP/extended warranty/insurance offering.

Just to clarify about going through Joel and add ons - are you saying he includes the add ons (as in no charge) or he just adds them into the cost without asking if you want them? When I talked to Joel, he asked me specifically what coverage I was looking for and quoted it to me the way I asked.

I don't know, but when I asked about those things, he had already included them in the quote, without me asking for them specifically.

.... and the other thing that just came up recently.... my wife said and is sort of pushing... , “Why don’t we just get a late model Expedition?”

You may actually be able to spec out a new Expedition SSV and order it for yourself since it's not considered a "police" vehicle. If you have a dealer nearby that does a lot of fleet business, they may be willing to have one built for you, third seat, Ecoboost and all.

Back