Police Interceptor Interior Changes / Upgrades | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Police Interceptor Interior Changes / Upgrades

Mar13

Reaction score
City, State
BEAUMONT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 ford explorer
I am looking into a buying 2016 Ford Explorer PIU that I am hoping to add third row seats. Does anyone know if that will be possible? Thanks everyone

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am looking into a buying 2016 Ford Explorer PIU that I am hoping to add third row seats. Does anyone know if that will be possible? Thanks everyone
Mar13. on my 2016 PIU there is an additional stabilizer/anti-sway bar for the rear of the vehicle and it appears to be a blocker for doing 3rd row seating. I think there’s a thread on here where someone has removed the bar and added the 3rd row - but that’s just from memory of having seen something a few months ago. After reading that I’d have to remove the anti-sway bar for the rear I decided that I prefer only 2 rows of seats. Besides I’ve got no kiddos to load up.

And something that I did find interesting is the thread for adding headrests to the 2d row... once things get cleared up a little and/or local yards open back up I’m going to snag a set and add them - great explanations.

This is a great forum and lots of great help and many experienced people here to help with just about anything.

I’ve been loving my 2016... the only issue that I’ve had was the PTU failing (sounds like rocks being tumbled in a large foldgers can, but if it had to go I’m glad it went out ~500 miles before my warranty ran out on the part.

Welcome to the Forum Shane and Mar13. :wave: :wave:
In adding the 3rd row seats, you'd be doing the opposite of this;
Not sure if those are of any help.

Peter

After just completing the swap of the second row and third in my 18 PIU, it can be done and is pretty straight forward.

You will need to be sure you get the seatbelts with hardware for the third row and tap the bolt holes as they are not threaded Remove the interior quarter trim, pull the rear frame bracing, and the seats bolt right in, just be sure to get all the of brackets and hardware. To button it up and make it look complete you will need to get a new trunk trim scuff plate, compact rear spare tire & cover, and the carpet around the spare wheel well. Just be aware the rubber floor stops at the second row so there is no floor covering get back there, and the stock vinyl seat does not flip forward so its not easy getting back there and recommended to swap out the second row as well, your passengers will thank you as the civilian seats are much more comfortable.

I was lucky and found a junk yard 10 mins from that had a 2013 (I wanted leather, but this had black cloth that matches the fronts pretty well and were in great shape) and got both second row, third row, all hardware brackets, carpet, spare tire and trim I needed from the junkyard for $300, & $60 for the seats belts offline.

Here are a few pics during the process, and my little helper. (Was only testing out the seats)

"realscot2" in Illinois happens to be selling all of the parts you might need, including the seats, in his For Sale ad elsewhere in the Forum.

Hello everyone, I have bought an intercepter 2016 3.7L and was wondering if it can be transformed in a recreative vehicle. in other words im looking to replace the interior with an original XLT/Limited/sport model. Are the bolts pattern identical, can the dashboard be replaced with no big issues knowing the shifter on the police utility is at the steering wheel and not in the middle. Im wondering if I will find road blocks throw my transformation ???

Hello everyone, I have bought an intercepter 2016 3.7L and was wondering if it can be transformed in a recreative vehicle. in other words im looking to replace the interior with an original XLT/Limited/sport model. Are the bolts pattern identical, can the dashboard be replaced with no big issues knowing the shifter on the police utility is at the steering wheel and not in the middle. Im wondering if I will find road blocks throw my transformation ???
Welcome to the Forum Robert. :wave:
The 2016 Explorer was a 'refresh', so I believe if you are changing out the dash and electrical components you should stick with 2016+ model parts.
In many cases, I believe the seats are interchangeable but it is always a good idea to check first, especially the seat belt hookups.
I'm sure that others will have more input as well. There are several existing threads about seat swaps etc.

Peter

Back