• Register Today It's free!

Police Interceptor Motor

Rich_

Reaction score
City, State
LI, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer NBX
Anyone swap in a police interceptor 4.6 from a Crown Vic?
I have an 03 that I/m pretty sure is going to have at minimum a head gasket leak if not worse something cracked (water in oil) with about 70K. Other than the milkshake oil it is perfect.
There are tons of P71 police interceptor cars around that can be had dirt cheap with a high performance 4.6 that I've been thinking of using as a donor motor. Anyone done this? Anyone see why I couldn't?
Thanks,
Rich

A police intercepter 4.6 is the exact same as a regular iron 4.6. The difference is in the computer, cooling system (oil cooler) alternator and transmission.

Your truck has an aluminum block 4.6. It's about 80 lbs lighter than an iron block. The motor mount bolt holes are different so your motor mount brackets will have to be modified to work with the iron block.

It has been done before but technically it's not an upgrade, it's more of a downgrade.

Sounded good in theory until you shot some holes into the idea. <----joking

Looking a little deeper the HP gain is minimal at best, the mounting change would be a pain, and the additional weight- while manageable is not good.

Back to the drawing board

Just as an idea I would take the valve covers off and pressure test the cooling system. I had a 03 v6 about a year ago with the same symptoms and ended up being a freeze plug under the camshaft leaking into the oil. I took the heads off and my machine shop found the issue.

Back