Police Interceptor Utility leather steering wheel swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Police Interceptor Utility leather steering wheel swap

FruztalProjects

Reaction score
City, State
Washington, US
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU
I've wanted to swap the steering wheel on my PIU for the leather one and my steering wheel has the AUX buttons on it. Would it matter if I replaced it without those buttons since I never use it. The wheel comes with the volume controls. Has anyone done this mod to their police interceptor?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have the AUX buttons on your wheel, there's a different piece of hardware installed for them to work. I don't believe a swap to another wheel will work correctly.

If you have the AUX buttons on your wheel, there's a different piece of hardware installed for them to work. I don't believe a swap to another wheel will work correctly.
I mean I don't really care if the AUX buttons work anymore after that. I don't have any use for them. I'm sure I can modify the As Built data in FORScan to disable it. I'll have to look into it.

Hello, as part of my steering wheel conversion to a non PIU steering wheel, this wheel doesn't come with the auxiliary buttons. My PIU has it, is there a FORScan mod I can do to disable the AUX on the dash on the PIU and make it act like regular volume controls and seek controls?

I found FORScan data for a 2016 and up PIU to disable it but can't find anything prior.

Oh yeah, I'm swapping it to a leather wrapped wheel from an Explorer, I pulled one out of a junkyard.

switch the green code to the blue code for nonsync audio buttons. link below.

sscm 2013-15

sscm 2013-15
I'm not familiar with the hex values, I'm always looking at this for a reference.

I don't know if it matters but what year/trim Explorer did you get the steering wheel from?

Peter

I mean I don't really care if the AUX buttons work anymore after that. I don't have any use for them. I'm sure I can modify the As Built data in FORScan to disable it. I'll have to look into it.
There's a different piece of hardware for vehicles with or without the steering wheel AUX buttons. They need to match the wheel as I understand. I tried to turn off the AUX on the IPC for a friend that swapped steering wheels in a FPIS, and this also didn't work. I assume, due to the different gear installed in a. vehicle with AUX controls.
Good luck...I'm out...

I don't know if it matters but what year/trim Explorer did you get the steering wheel from?

Peter
Came off of a 2018 Ford Flex SEL, the wheels are the same to the Explorer. I wanted the black trim it had, and it's leather wrapped.

There's a different piece of hardware for vehicles with or without the steering wheel AUX buttons. They need to match the wheel as I understand. I tried to turn off the AUX on the IPC for a friend that swapped steering wheels in a FPIS, and this also didn't work. I assume, due to the different gear installed in a. vehicle with AUX controls.
Good luck...I'm out...

sscm 2013-15
I'm gonna give the FORScan a try with a previous reply and see if that changes anything. I'm also unsure how to modify As Built data with just the hex, I'm wanting to change the green string to the blue string as stated by poster.

Back