• Register Today It's free!

Police lighting pre-wire packages

bt1987

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford PIU
There are a number of threads about the headlamp units either being a specific model with holes for the Whelen strobes or not. I don't know the package model numbers from the dealer. Is the front strobe prep package a separate package from the rear strobe prep package?

My 2014 has the wiring harnesses and cutouts in the headlamp housings for front strobes, but there are no additional plugs for the taillights to have Whelen strobes. Does the OEM flasher system tie into the brake lights? Is there a different model number tail lamp housing that contains a cut out for the Whelen Vertex lights?

I've tried to do a VIN search on my PIU, but I cant generate a window sticker for it. It just gives me a "This feature is not available yet" message. As such, I can't figure out what upfitting packages are installed. I know for sure the front strobes, but after a quick removal of my lift gate trim, I have no harnesses for window LEDs or liftgate underside LEDs, so I don't appear to have any rear lighting package pre-wires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't yet found a site that will pull up older window stickers. It seems that once the vehicle is a few months old, the sites say that the info is not yet available.

Peter

I haven't yet found a site that will pull up older window stickers. It seems that once the vehicle is a few months old, the sites say that the info is not yet available.

Peter
Thanks. That's very weird. I've done some digging around in my vehicle, and it definitely has the front lighting solution (corner flashing LEDs, not the WARN module), but no rear lighting solutions at all.

Thanks. That's very weird. I've done some digging around in my vehicle, and it definitely has the front lighting solution (corner flashing LEDs, not the WARN module), but no rear lighting solutions at all.

That's not as uncommon as you'd think. Sounds like yours has option 66A, Headlamp Lighting Solution, but no 66C Taillamp Lighting Solution. Some agencies ordered them like that. Mine has housings only, front and rear, options 86P and 86T respectively.

The OEM flasher system does not tie-in to the brake lights, they're the same Whelen Vertex white strobes as installed in the headlights, but installed in the rear turn signals. You can see one in my post here: Adding emergency lights to explorer sport

I'm pretty sure I saw Ford claiming there's a knock-out in the police version head & tail light housings for the HAWs, even if the vehicle did not have those options, but I don't believe that's actually the case. I saw no trace of a knock-out in the taillights on the wrecked PIU I have.

They connect to the same 4-pin connectors as the Vertex HAWs in the headlights, if I had to guess, they're completely interchangable but may sync differently between left & right. The wiring may not be present in a vehicle not ordered with the option.

The OEM flasher system does not tie-in to the brake lights, they're the same Whelen Vertex white strobes as installed in the headlights, but installed in the rear turn signals. You can see one in my post here: Adding emergency lights to explorer sport

I'm pretty sure I saw Ford claiming there's a knock-out in the police version head & tail light housings for the HAWs, even if the vehicle did not have those options, but I don't believe that's actually the case. I saw no trace of a knock-out in the taillights on the wrecked PIU I have.

They connect to the same 4-pin connectors as the Vertex HAWs in the headlights, if I had to guess, they're completely interchangable but may sync differently between left & right. The wiring may not be present in a vehicle not ordered with the option.

My taillights do not have the knock out panel for the Whelen's, while my headlights do. I have two pairs of the Ford Whelen model HAWs, so I will hang on to the pair for the rear until I come up with a solution for them. I don't have any rear wiring either for strobes, but that will be far easier to add and splice into the plug on the dash.

It's funny, because the rear tail/brake lights use the same connector as the Whelen strobes. Obviously plugging the Whelen strobe into the brake light connector would release the "magic smoke," but it's funny nonetheless.

Back