• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Police Raid Car Enthusiast Gathering, Generate Revenue

htrdlncn

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Travis,Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 X-Sport
By the way, it WAS a rich kid who had suped up his car and made all those wonderful modifications, just like the rest of the street racers. He also had a Corvette and other vehicles at home that he didn't use to street race. They were just for show. Imagine what his parents would have said if he wrapped one of those around a telephone pole!

again the vehicle and the modifications were not the problem,
he would have been just as dangerous behind the wheel of a stock Explorer.
4500lbs at 100mph would kill just about anything

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Sojourner

Reaction score
City, State
Out in the boonies, California (Homeland/Romoland)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Toyota Camry
Well, here, in California, as one of the articles said, within a 3 month period, there were 13 deaths due to street racers who don't give a cr*p about other people's lives (or even their own)! NOT ONE OF THOSE was in an Explorer (or any other SUV) going 100 mph!

htrdlncn

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Travis,Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 X-Sport
and now on a different cali topic..
proposed law to give money for the crushing of older cars..
written by who?
Californian..
Oppose Federal “Cash for Clunkers” Program

Washington lawmakers are drafting a large economic stimulus package to help create jobs and rebuild infrastructure. They want to include a nationwide scrappage program which would give U.S. tax dollars to consumers who turn-in older cars to have them crushed, as a misguided attempt to spur new car sales. The lawmakers need to scrap this idea.

The stimulus package is being drafted right now. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) wants to introduce the bill on January 6 and have it approved by Congress by January 20, so that President Obama can sign it into law after he is inaugurated.

Contact House Speaker Nancy Pelosi IMMEDIATELY To Oppose Cash for Clunkers!

Call: 202/225-0100
Click here to send an electronic message: http://speaker.house.gov/contact/

htrdlncn

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Travis,Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 X-Sport
we will agree to disagree I guess, your not changing my mind and i am not changing yours and thats one of the great things about living in (most) of the USA,
we have the freedom to express ourselves.

Well, here, in California, as one of the articles said, within a 3 month period, there were 13 deaths due to street racers who don't give a cr*p about other people's lives (or even their own)! NOT ONE OF THOSE was in an Explorer (or any other SUV) going 100 mph!

techieman33

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Topeka, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 V8 Mountaineer

compare that to the ~136 alcohol related deaths over a similar period of time, and street racing isn't that big of a problem.

California drunk driving stats

htrdlncn

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Travis,Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 X-Sport
compare that to the ~136 alcohol related deaths over a similar period of time, and street racing isn't that big of a problem.

California drunk driving stats

make no mistake I think the penalties for drunks and speeders are way too soft,
I just dont see regulation of cars or booze as the answer. We just need to severely punish the guilty.
drive a souped up 9sec car , no problem, race on a street and your ass should be in a sling.
drink till you pass out , no problem, get behind a wheel and do serious jailtime.
the car and the booze arent the problem its the person. Always has been , always will be.
Give people the freedom to choose but if they choose wrong make them PAY.

JMan689

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Downers Grove, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'14 Focus ST
We used to get kicked out when we weren't doing anything, and when there were burnouts and stuff going on, cops never showed.

But because the shopping center is split between 3 towns, one of the towns would kick us out, close down the stop light, and let everyone into the next one, it was pretty funny.

techieman33

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Topeka, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 V8 Mountaineer
make no mistake I think the penalties for drunks and speeders are way too soft,
I just dont see regulation of cars or booze as the answer. We just need to severely punish the guilty.
drive a souped up 9sec car , no problem, race on a street and your ass should be in a sling.
drink till you pass out , no problem, get behind a wheel and do serious jailtime.
the car and the booze arent the problem its the person. Always has been , always will be.
Give people the freedom to choose but if they choose wrong make them PAY.

Oh, I totally agree with you people need to be given some freedoms until they prove they can't handle it, then they need to be punished severely.

htrdlncn

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Travis,Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 X-Sport
When I was in South Florida I used to be a regular at the Tower Shops friday car meet,
300-400 cars of every type, musclecars,all out drag cars,ricers,4x4,diesel trucks,lowriders, even a few ex Army vehicles!
Cops never gave anyone a hassle UNLESS you were speeding or spinning tires and they would get cheers from the crowd when they did for getting rid of the few idiots out to ruin it for everyone. Thats the way it should be.

BEST PLACE TO GO FOR FRIDAY-NIGHT FAMILY FUN
CAR SHOW AT TOWER SHOPS
1986 S. University Drive, Davie
954-473-9619
Whether you're a mom, dad, boy or girl, there's something for everyone to do at this outdoor plaza on a Friday night. The car show showcases classic and modern cars from every generation, which will keep Dad and the boys entertained, while moms and girls shop at stores, including Justice, PacSun, DSW and Marshall's. The whole family can meet up again for dinner or snacks at one of several restaurants, including the Davie Ale House, Lefty's Wing and Raw Bar or Roadhouse Grill. The car show takes place from 6 to 10 p.m. Fridays.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Yeah.... maybe in Kansas it is but we're not talking about Kansas, are we!? They've caught many street racers out here running nitrous ILLEGALLY! Why do you think they've made these laws? These guys don't want to PAY to race legally but they don't mind paying the fines for racing illegally! They put themselves and everyone around them in danger when they race down residential streets! Most of the time, it's the innocent bystanders who get caught in the middle of it!

Nitrous has ZERO to do with illegal street racing. Sure some illegal racers may use it, but the majority just use their naturally aspirated motors!! Dead is DEAD it doesn't matter if the car that kills someone has nitrous or not!! Want to step in front of a Bugatti Veyron doing 250 MPH without nitrous??? Didn't think so.

Want to make a law that makes sense?? Pass a law that says if there is a nitrous system in the vehicle that is HOOKED UP and READY TO GO, that person can be fined. No reason to outlaw an inactive system which can be used at the racetrack!!

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
With $10,000 plus (and the cost of the car to begin with) worth of modifications in a street car, you're telling me they couldn't put that money in to buying a STOCK model car? That just doesn't make sense at all! :rolleyes:

Geez, I guess you haven't learned much from using this site. I know hundreds of people who have used this site who have invested $10,000 and much more into a stinkin' Ford Explorer! Why not just buy something else??? Because we don't want to and it was/is our right to modify our vehicles as we see fit to serve the purpose we want it to serve.

I am "investing" about $30,000 into a Dodge Dart which was only worth $3000 brand new... Sheesh... Get real...

To add, many have the money to purchase a $20,000 car and over time add accessories which may be worth $10,000 or more.

For example, my 2004 Mach 1 was $25,000 new. Add a $6000 supercharger system and with one modification you have nearly ten grand extra into your car. Why put "so" much money into a car? Why not? A supercharger equipped Cobra of the same vintage would cost $35,000 new and wouldn't deliver the same performance as the Mach 1 with an add on kit. Seems like the Mach 1 with the supercharger kit is the best value for the money...

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Rick is griping about Arizona laws (and it being a "Republican" state) but here in California, it's been a Democrat state for quite a while.

I bring up Arizona's Republican leanings because so many seem to believe a Republican state would preserve the rights they cherish. The fact is it doesn't matter which party is in control. Government is out of control on both sides of the aisle. Our Republican led legislature has no problem with whittling away our rights and liberties one after another.

Sojourner

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Toyota Camry
Seriously, if I had my way there would be stiffer regulations BEFORE and stiffer penalties AFTER the fact when it comes to guns, drunk driving and street racing!

And, Rick, I don't mind modifications when it comes to vehicles but, like I said in one of my other posts.... I have plenty of friends who race LEGALLY (with modified vehicles) and are never bothered by the police out here. They carry their records with them when driving their cars on the streets. There are ways to prove you are doing things in a safe manner. If you can't, then you shouldn't be driving a modified car. It's a matter of are you trying to hide something from the law or are you following the law? If you have nothing to hide, then there is nothing to gripe about.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I have plenty of friends who race LEGALLY (with modified vehicles) and are never bothered by the police out here. They carry their records with them when driving their cars on the streets. There are ways to prove you are doing things in a safe manner. If you can't, then you shouldn't be driving a modified car. It's a matter of are you trying to hide something from the law or are you following the law? If you have nothing to hide, then there is nothing to gripe about.

I'm still disagreeing with you. People have the right to modify their vehicles and NEVER race on a sanctioned track if they so choose. A 4x4 Explorer which has had a V8 swap - does the owner need to prove he races on a sanctioned track to drive his modified machine? The Mustang Mach 1 with a supercharger kit. Does that owner need to prove they race in sanctioned events in order to drive his modified car on the street??

You are so narrowly focused on what you believe is right or wrong it's scary. Scary because there are so many like you who don't have any regard for what others enjoy safely in their lives. You decide what is right and wrong based on the actions of a few, the minority. The majority enjoy their modified vehicles safely yet you are willing to destroy their rights for an illusion of personal safety.

Sure hope an 18 wheeler doesn't make a lane change into the side of your Camry and you end up under his rear wheels, or slam into the back of your car when he can't stop his 80,000 pound rig in time... That's far more likely to happen than for you to get injured by someone with a modified vehicle.

Sojourner

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Toyota Camry
I'm still disagreeing with you. People have the right to modify their vehicles and NEVER race on a sanctioned track if they so choose. A 4x4 Explorer which has had a V8 swap - does the owner need to prove he races on a sanctioned track to drive his modified machine? The Mustang Mach 1 with a supercharger kit. Does that owner need to prove they race in sanctioned events in order to drive his modified car on the street??

You are so narrowly focused on what you believe is right or wrong it's scary. Scary because there are so many like you who don't have any regard for what others enjoy safely in their lives. You decide what is right and wrong based on the actions of a few, the minority. The majority enjoy their modified vehicles safely yet you are willing to destroy their rights for an illusion of personal safety.

Sure hope an 18 wheeler doesn't make a lane change into the side of your Camry and you end up under his rear wheels, or slam into the back of your car when he can't stop his 80,000 pound rig in time... That's far more likely to happen than for you to get injured by someone with a modified vehicle.

Are you serious??? Being hit by an 80,000 lb big rig would be an ACCIDENT which is, essentially, unavoidable, especially if someone cuts them off! That is FAR different than some donkey/idiot going off half-cocked in a suped up car, running rampant down the street where there are innocent victims involved! One is an ACCIDENT and the other is out and out vehicular manslaughter (or, IMHO, MURDER)! You GET IN THAT CAR WITH THE INTENTION TO RACE IT DOWN A RESIDENTIAL STREET, which you KNOW damn well could end up killing someone! A big rig driver does NOT get in to his rig intending to go racing down a residential street. I've seen the idiots out on our street driving their cars way too fast and hitting dogs or cats. Not caring if someone is in the way or looking out for the children. I just thank God every day that our streets are too narrow for them to have drag races! It isn't a small minority here! If you have 13 deaths in 3 months that are the result of street racing, that is far from a minority, especially in residential areas. Remember now, we're talking about Riverside, which is not anywhere near the size of Los Angeles!

You're right about one thing, you have the right to modify your vehicle but, if you race that vehicle on a residential street and end up killing someone, you also have to live with that... in jail! Like the kid who killed my friend. Of course, since it was just vehicular manslaughter, I doubt that he's still in there. :rolleyes:

I still say tougher laws on both ends (before AND after) will balance things out.

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
As I see it, having the ability to go 120+ becuase you added nitrous etc is no reason to get a ticket. Now, if you use it on the street (excessive acceleration, reckless driving, excessive speeding etc) then yes you get ticketed for those things. If your caught street racing then you get hit with those tickets/concequences. I'm not even going to get into the issues with how the "excessive" tickets are given out.

Having the ability to do so is no reason for a ticket etc.

with the last post I can see that you are set in your ways and I can see why. As I see it, this is just going to be an agree to disagree thread..

~Mark

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
tbars, you know better than that! You don't have a suped up race car in your driveway! I don't think it's right to "crush" vehicles randomly but, if you get caught in an illegal situation (even if you AREN'T street racing) with a vehicle that is modified beyond the point of being just "showy" (meaning nitro fuel injection for speeds above 120 mph), in a place where LEGAL racing isn't available (like on a residential street or a public parking lot), then I would have to agree with people getting tickets or even having their vehicles confiscated. Trucks.... no! Offroad vehicles are a totally different story and in a totally different category because MOST of those guys don't go drag racing on city streets and the only people they hurt are themselves! If they want to be dumkopfs, at least they do it offroad and away from innocent bystanders! ;)

And the only profile you fit is being a nice guy, tbars! ;)

...I just got back in and wanted a to add something quick...Not making a statement to what you said, but adding my own personal insight to all that is being said today in this thread...

...I try and keep up on these laws as I do believe most laws have some good intent...It all depends in how they want to inforce these laws...Some of these laws are also "sleeper" type laws and could be used, and should be used if needed...

...I come from a family of stock car racers and my dad started it for the family and it was highly frowned upon in the 50's when he started...In the 60's it was only hillbilly's and rednecks who raced cars...Now it's cool and everyone is for it...I have seen and even been stereotyped for even being related to this type...I took my own path and Rodeo'd...That went over well too..
...I myself have been caught up in sting operations in California when I was younger and was not racing, but had my vehicle inspected as I was within blocks of something that went down...I did also street race, Freeway raced, and when they finally gave us the place to race, I raced at OCIR with my Daily Driver, saturday night open races...My car at the time was a pretty much stock 71 Mach 1, 351 C, Ram air, auto, 4.10's (high 13's)...I was 18, what can I say...:rolleyes:...

...I also did match races when I was 16...We would drive out to Vegas and cruise Fremont...Set up a race, then you would head out by the airport and race...I was driving someone elses Mopar...I remember when they were actually trying to outlaw 4 barrel carbs...The easy way around that would have been to add 3 deuces..;)

...I just wanted to state those things so all would know, even nice guys race...:D

..With that being said, none of my vehicles were ever "Highly Modified"...My X on the other hand, has a list of mods that if they were in a mustang would make it a street racer...And if they were to say the ashtray was stolen, how could I prove different???..:dunno:

...These days I have several law enforcement friends...Some I grew up with and a lot of my neighbors currently are...We discuss these things frequently and they are opened minded too...

...The Laws are there to protect us...I beleive if someone kills someone, they should pay, period...I do not believe if someone modifies their vehicle, they are a killer, a gang, a street racer, or any other class of people that some would want to catergorise said people into...

...Hey, we all make mistakes, and pay for them one way or the other...I just don't want to be told I can't do something because some bonehead was stupid...If I did something wrong I do not want anyone else to suffer due to my stupidity...

...I don't want to quit playing with my toys because one class of people who don't own them think I'm an undesirable due to their way of thinking...I would be at wrong if I wanted them to change to my way of thinking too...

...Next, they will be telling me I'm to old to drive a , modified vehicle but they will say it's only for blue eyed people because some blue eyed guy in a modified vehicle, well, you get the point...:D

...But I did recently get pulled over for tinted windows...They were bummed I wasn't a kid...:p:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1958742&postcount=58

zjrog

Reaction score
City, State
Tooele,Ut
Year, Model & Trim Level
1990 Ranger
Back in the 80s I was active with a motorcycle group (not Harleys or crotch rockets). At the time, in El Cajon, CA, we could only gather in small groups and had to move along every hour or so. So cruising on fridays and Saturdays just wasn't that much fun as the cops cracked down more and more. Even then, the concern was where are people going to go when everything gets shut down?

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Dan Whitaker

One fast putty tat
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Raytown MO (Kansas City suburb)
Year, Model & Trim Level
No Mounty no more.
WOW! DMI is back in full effect on EF:D