• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Police Raid Car Enthusiast Gathering, Generate Revenue

Sojourner

Reaction score
City, State
Out in the boonies, California (Homeland/Romoland)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Toyota Camry
So, what I am seeing here is that most of you all think that it's okay to do these street races with suped up cars, even IF it means that innocent bystanders happen to "get in the way of their fun" and end up getting killed. The guy who does the killing will get his just rewards (yeah... right) from the law or SHOULD get them but, hey! It's not their fault if the punishment isn't strict enough! Right? Nevermind that people die, thanks to these idiots. I mean, I KNOW you guys are pretty much sane when it comes to your vehicles (I've been around this site long enough to know most of you) but we aren't talking about you guys or what YOU do! It's an insane problem out here in the Inland Empire and, since Los Angeles has been cleaning out their gang bangers, they are coming here. Guess what they bring along with them! That's right! Their suped up cars (along with their guns) and they all get together to race on our residential streets. It's just like them "capping" a guy right next to a house where a little girl was playing in the front yard not too far from where I live. Thank God there was a wall between them and that little girl or she would probably have been killed that day too! YOU don't have to live here. I do!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
...Street racing is Illegal and doing so is a crime...Street Racing is a problem and no one here has said otherwise...

Being an enthusiast, modifying your car, gathering to discuss your car, is now becoming as much, if not more of a crime...We are not Street Racing...We are enthusiast who have the right to modify our car...

...Again, the laws are to protect...Modifying your vehicle does not make you a street racer or in a gang as California and other States may declare you...

...Use a gun, go to jail...Street race your car, go to jail and have your car crushed...Have an Explorer Forum meet and Greet, go to jail, have your vehicle crushed???..:scratch:

...Just an example Sojo...Say you met up with myself and another explorer enthusiast to swap one piece of furniture in a miniature golf parking lot...The Police roll up and start questioning my X's performance parts...You have now been busted in a group for gathering illegally with modified vehicles...Say you have a K&N cone filter your Toyota Camry...We must be street racers or a gang according to the law and can be questioned for, searched, and required to show proof of all the parts on each of our vehicles or have them towed away and crushed...The laws say it can happen and thats what I get out of this thread...You wouldn't be a streetracer or a gang member in my eyes, just a car enthusiast...And we would come and stand up for you too...

...The laws are good...How they are used to enforce and stereotype can be wrong and yet still be legal...

Turdle

Lowrider
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
You guys are silly.

Can't you see? The real problem is the shopping malls. They just sit there, tempting people to gather like this--

I say if we got rid of the Malls, problem solved. Simple.

Then we start on the fast food joints for killing us. My god, do you know how many deaths are caused by whoppers?

Sojourner

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Toyota Camry
You guys are silly.

Can't you see? The real problem is the shopping malls. They just sit there, tempting people to gather like this--

I say if we got rid of the Malls, problem solved. Simple.

Then we start on the fast food joints for killing us. My god, do you know how many deaths are caused by whoppers?

I don't eat whoppers! :D

But seriously, my only problem with "car enthusiasts" is where they gather here, what they do when they are asked by others to leave and how they inconvenience other people. They DON'T police themselves here and they are definitely NOT nice!

Yes, street racing is illegal, tbars, but, according to several of the people on these boards, we don't have the right to PREVENT them from going out and racing on our residential streets. We only have the right to prosecute them AFTER the fact and, by that time, it is already too late for many of their victims or even themselves (I know, I could give a rat's patoot about the idiot too)! :p:

There is a line to be drawn and I doubt seriously that they would bother a bunch of SUV enthusiasts gathering together. How many times have you guys been harassed because of your gatherings, strictly based on your vehicles? Not even once, if I miss my guess. ;)

techieman33

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Topeka, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 V8 Mountaineer
I don't eat whoppers! :D

But seriously, my only problem with "car enthusiasts" is where they gather here, what they do when they are asked by others to leave and how they inconvenience other people. They DON'T police themselves here and they are definitely NOT nice!

Yes, street racing is illegal, tbars, but, according to several of the people on these boards, we don't have the right to PREVENT them from going out and racing on our residential streets. We only have the right to prosecute them AFTER the fact and, by that time, it is already too late for many of their victims or even themselves (I know, I could give a rat's patoot about the idiot too)! :p:

There is a line to be drawn and I doubt seriously that they would bother a bunch of SUV enthusiasts gathering together. How many times have you guys been harassed because of your gatherings, strictly based on your vehicles? Not even once, if I miss my guess. ;)

What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Thats exactly why I have a problem with this.. Having it is not a crime.. using it on the street itself may not be a crime.. Using it (I'm talking nitrous here) while doing something illegal like racing or excessive speeding itself isn't a crime.. The act of doing something illegal is. (the racing or speeding) and that is where the punishment comes in.

do I feel that the punishments are right, I can't answer that, as it changes so much between states..

~Mark

Sojourner

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Toyota Camry
So, if they race, that's when you prosecute? After they've put their lives and everyone else's around them in jeopardy? If you are racing legally, what's the problem with proving so? Like I said, I have several friends who race LEGALLY and keep their records with them. They GET the permits to gather in an unobtrusive place, away from shopping areas, schools or places where they might interfere with other people. They go to the car enthusiast shows out here and they DON'T street race!! If you have a suped up car, what do you intend to do with it if not race it?? If you want to race it, why not go to a track, keep your records with you and let police know you do it legally?

It's funny, there were people here who used to sit outside the prisons when someone was going to be put to death for murdering another person screaming, "No! No! No! The death sentence is inhumane!" How in God's name do you think the penalties for crimes in this state got to be so lenient? All the bleeding heart liberals who think that criminals deserve more consideration than their victims, that's how! We no longer have the death penalty in California, thanks to them! It's considered cruel and inhumane! Really! Where does it end and when do the victims or potential victims become important?

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
So, if they race, that's when you prosecute?

Exactly. This is America. You are innocent until proven guilty. You don't get arrested/punished because you have the ability to do something illegal. You are arrested/punished because you did something illegal.

This isn't 1930's Germany... I do not need to carry papers on everything I am/have/own to prove that I use everything thing legally. I am innocent until I do something illegal, and are procescuted for doing it.

It is my right to be a "tool" and spend a bunch of money on mods and not use them. Maybe I just want them to show off at these little gatherings...

~Mark

techieman33

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Topeka, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 V8 Mountaineer
Why do you keep bringing up racing legally, just because you race legally doesn't mean you don't street race too. I spend a lot of time at the track when it's open, but I've also raced some cars from a stop light on occasion.

I have a bottle of beer in front of me, should I be arrested for a DUI, there is a chance that I might get in a car and drive it. Why don't you charge me with murder, I have a gun maybe I'll shoot someone with it someday.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
If you are racing legally, what's the problem with proving so?

And like I said you can have a modified csr and never race. In fact that is the norm not the exception!
Posted via Mobile Device

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
...Oh yes, I get harrassed and pulled over often, but not as often as when I was younger...Your vehicle and it's looks is what will get you pulled over if you are alone...I notice I don't get fix it tickets either now, (knock on wood)...

...I recently was harrassed by a young cop while stopping and letting my dog go potty in a park area...He acted like he was intersted in my Explorer but I knew what was up and I played the Psychology game with him while he ran my plates and then asked for my DL...

Sojourner

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Toyota Camry
And like I said you can have a modified csr and never race. In fact that is the norm not the exception!
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, that's obviously NOT the norm here. I commend you if you have a "suped up car" and don't race at all. Most people could not resist the temptation, especially in California.

Sorry, but I will never agree that modifying a car and not racing it go hand in hand. I will also always feel it is a very STUPID desire to want to have a car that goes that fast unless you are a professional racer (or even amateur) who does so on a LEGAL race track! That's MY opinion and I am entitled to it!

NOTE:
Most of the idiots who get caught out here and/or finally kill somebody have been caught MANY times already and paid fines that are more than enough to cover the cost of racing legally several times over. They JUST DON'T CARE.... UNTIL they lose their car or wrap it around a tree or end up wrecking with some innocent motorist! They just don't think it will ever happen to THEM!

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Sorry Sojourner, but you are letting your prejudice guide your decision not facts. Typical knee jerk reaction.

If cops want to do something about street racing they can go to the areas where the races occur and wait for the illegal racers to set up. Races occur on roads, not in parking lots.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Sojourner, why don't your try checking out some other automotive enthusiast sites which are geared towards muscle cars. Not ONE site which I use condones illegal street racing and I use a bunch. I'm sure there are sites dedicated to illegal racing, but again THAT IS NOT THE NORM, that is the EXCEPTION.

FROADER

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie
we don't have the right to PREVENT them from going out and racing on our residential streets. We only have the right to prosecute them AFTER the fact and, by that time, it is already too late for many of their victims or even themselves (I know, I could give a rat's patoot about the idiot too)!
So, if they race, that's when you prosecute? After they've put their lives and everyone else's around them in jeopardy?
With your reasoning, that would mean every person with a 4x4 (even a stock 1992 Mazda MPV [a phucking minivan]), should be ticketed, because they might go off-roading on illegal ground.

Good grief, your Camry is probably faster than some of the "enthusiast's" cars that are fixed up. I bet over half of all new factory cars are faster than most of those "street racer's" cars.

Don't be mad at the people who put parts and stickers on their cars, be mad at the people who provide the parts and stickers...

New Idea for the SoCal Off-Road club...

LosCreepers_Final.jpg

Sojourner

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Toyota Camry
Froader, I've been told my Camry tops out at 130 mph. I've never taken it to that and it isn't modified in any way. Now, you are saying that these nitrous fuel injected suped up, modified cars can't go faster than that? Yeah... and I believe there is green cheese on the moon!

I'm an extremely conservative driver on the roads and I didn't buy my car for speed. I bought it for economy and comfort. Modifications aren't made for economy and comfort.

techieman33

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Topeka, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 V8 Mountaineer
Froader, I've been told my Camry tops out at 130 mph. I've never taken it to that and it isn't modified in any way. Now, you are saying that these nitrous fuel injected suped up, modified cars can't go faster than that? Yeah... and I believe there is green cheese on the moon!

I'm an extremely conservative driver on the roads and I didn't buy my car for speed. I bought it for economy and comfort. Modifications aren't made for economy and comfort.

yes, your car is probably faster than some of those "suped up" cars. You make a point against yourself though, just because your car is capable of going 130 you haven't gone that fast in it, so why is it impossible that someone with a modified car couldn't do the same thing?

Sojourner

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Toyota Camry
We can agree to disagree on this. Most people don't go out and buy a Camry to RACE it because the engine is not capable of sustaining the speed and will most likely blow up if you try it. A modified vehicle, however, is fully capable of reaching, going beyond and maintaining those speeds.

Again, it is a matter of symantics and points of view. I don't make the laws (and most of these aren't voted on) so the argument is pointless. It's all done by our wonderful state legislature. You got a gripe? Take it up with them. I don't care either way. You want to go out and wrap your vehicle around a tree? Go ahead and do it. Just don't wrap your vehicle around another innocent motorist or bystander. Take your own life, not theirs. It hurts too many other people when they lose a friend or loved one to someone else's stupidity!

I'm done!

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
So, if they race, that's when you prosecute? After they've put their lives and everyone else's around them in jeopardy? If you are racing legally, what's the problem with proving so? Like I said, I have several friends who race LEGALLY and keep their records with them. They GET the permits to gather in an unobtrusive place, away from shopping areas, schools or places where they might interfere with other people. They go to the car enthusiast shows out here and they DON'T street race!! If you have a suped up car, what do you intend to do with it if not race it?? If you want to race it, why not go to a track, keep your records with you and let police know you do it legally?

It's funny, there were people here who used to sit outside the prisons when someone was going to be put to death for murdering another person screaming, "No! No! No! The death sentence is inhumane!" How in God's name do you think the penalties for crimes in this state got to be so lenient? All the bleeding heart liberals who think that criminals deserve more consideration than their victims, that's how! We no longer have the death penalty in California, thanks to them! It's considered cruel and inhumane! Really! Where does it end and when do the victims or potential victims become important?

Ummm...so if I own a gun, I should be prosecuted because I "might" use it in a crime? Or do I have the right to have said gun UNTIL I commit the crime. You can't persecute (yes, correct choice of the word) someone for having a legally modified vehicle because they MIGHT commit a crime. Our constitution prevents that.

You mention having a permit to race...Say WHAT??? I don't need a permit to take my car to the dragstrip and race, and I should not have to carry my timeslips with me to prove I do dragrace the car. I can just show up on Saturday morning, pass tech and go racing. No permits or special license needed.

Like Rick, I have a Mach 1 that is capable of well in excess of 150 MPH and running the quarter mile in under 13 seconds at well over 100 mph. Is my car modified? Yep...I've got plenty of modifications to it...all legal, but by your definition I'm a criminal because the car can possibly go faster than it did stock. Now, if I take it out on the road and street race it, I should be prosecuted for illegal racing. However, I don't street race at all. It's stupid and dangerous, but again..by your mindset, I'm already a criminal because I own a modified car. Having nitrous on a car isn't illegal, it's illegal to USE on the highway...not illegal to HAVE on the highway.

So..how would you classify my wife's '66 Mustang. Many times over $10k invested in it and it's very modified from stock...I guess that makes her a criminal and she intends to illegally street race huh?:rolleyes: Yeah..she's a criminal for driving it on the highway and going to car meets in parking lots....call the National Guard out for that one......

I do agree COMPLETELY that illegal street racing is dangerous and should be heavily monitored and snuffed out but you can't make the assumption that just because someone modifies their car, that they intend to break the law...You're trying to apply something to everyone that a small minority does. Prosecute fully those that are street racing, do not deny someone their right to modify their personal property just because you are afraid that a small minority of them might do something illegal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Sojourner

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Toyota Camry
Okay, maybe I should rephrase this. The use of a modified vehicle to street race needs to be stopped. If they are caught even ONCE racing ILLEGALLY, their cars should be confiscated and crushed! No ifs, ands or buts about it! Because, eventually, they WILL kill themselves or someone else!