• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Police Raid Car Enthusiast Gathering, Generate Revenue

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

FROADER

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie
Street racing is like drag racing, not top speed driving. You're Camry 0-60 is probably faster than some of the "suped up" cars. :) You're talking about cars that are slower than "supercars" that have been being built since the 50s. I'll be honest and went to a couple illegal street races when in high school, with my 91 ranger with a 4" lift on 32s, raced, and beat a few civics... It's not just the fast & furious cars that are doing it. I have never done it since and never will, but it proves a point in this thread.

Okay, maybe I should rephrase this. The use of a modified vehicle to street race needs to be stopped. If they are caught even ONCE racing ILLEGALLY, their cars should be confiscated and crushed! No ifs, ands or buts about it! Because, eventually, they WILL kill themselves or someone else!

See, that's perfect and I agree with you 100%! Although not really what you've been saying this whole thread. :D :p:

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
Okay, maybe I should rephrase this. The use of a modified vehicle to street race needs to be stopped. If they are caught even ONCE racing ILLEGALLY, their cars should be confiscated and crushed! No ifs, ands or buts about it! Because, eventually, they WILL kill themselves or someone else!

Much better :thumbsup:...and I'd go one step farther. ANY vehicle used in street racing should be confiscated. What I'd rather see than them being crushed though is have most of them sold (or used as police vehicles) and the funds put back into crime fighting.

Sojourner

Reaction score
City, State
Out in the boonies, California (Homeland/Romoland)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Toyota Camry
Much better :thumbsup:...and I'd go one step farther. ANY vehicle used in street racing should be confiscated. What I'd rather see than them being crushed though is have most of them sold (or used as police vehicles) and the funds put back into crime fighting.

There ya go! I agree completely with that one! I think one of the kids whose car was crushed even said something to that effect but his idea was to give the money to charity. I would just hope that anyone who BUYS the things would not turn around and use them for street racing again! The better idea would be to turn them in to police vehicles. Wouldn't THAT surprise the sh*t out of the dummies!? :D

Sojourner

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Toyota Camry
..:dunno:...Camry street racing???

http://search.live.com/video/results.aspx?q=camry+street+race | id:33BDA3A41EF73255D0FE33BDA3A41EF73255D0FE&form=VIRE0&docid=408634523692

http://www.streetracinggallery.com/...llery.cgi?img=0&search=camry&cat=all&bool=and

...There are all kinds of street racing vehicles to be found...Should we ban the sales of Camry's since these kids are shown racing them even if they are stock vehicles???

Okay, so I never really looked at my speedometer before. Maybe because I never thought to use my car for street racing or even racing. Hey! Maybe I should think about taking it up! What do you think? Old granny out there racing with the bad boys? hehehe

Seriously, most of those looked like very young kids who maybe had too much money to spend on a car (or were using their parents' car without their knowledge) and, let's face it, one of the videos showed a Camry being beat by a... Ford mini van (was that it?)! hahaha

joecrna

Reaction score
City, State
Las Flores, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 4X4 sohc
After reading that Sojourner drives a Camry and reading some of the knee jerk facist opinions, I can't believe this isn't a liberal chick that hangs-out in some suburban desert shopping mall. Personal circumstances are clearly clouding judgement.

I guess if you don't do it or it isn't something you like, then its OK to vilianize it.

chriswells78

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Powell(Columbus), OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited
I guess if you don't do it or it isn't something you like, then its OK to vilianize it.

This is why 90% of laws are created and 99% of freedoms will be gone within the next 10 years.

joecrna

Reaction score
City, State
Las Flores, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 4X4 sohc
Agreed my Buckeye brother, agreed.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH

Now you're on the right track:biggthump

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
Hey! Maybe I should think about taking it up! What do you think? Old granny out there racing with the bad boys? hehehe

...That's why the Beach Boy's, (or was it Jan and Dean?) wrote a song about it in the '60's..;)

...Found it and a good story to read...It was Jan and Dean..:biggthump

..." The twist: unlike the usual story, this little old lady not only drives the hot car, but is a street racer who can't be beat.'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Old_Lady_from_Pasadena

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
This thread might be breaking the law! It might be so painfully debated that someone (after reading this) "might" go out and commit an illegal act against either a EF member, or a local street racer!

If I wanted to live in a regulated country, I will just move to China! No laws saying I have to live here. The days of fighting off claim jumpers and making wagon circles have come and gone. If you feel like where you live is too dangerous for your family, it is your obligation to pick up and move them to safety. More people die from ignorance than any thing else.

Sojourner

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Toyota Camry
THAT is something I would never, ever do to anyone, gmanpaint! I am NOT a vigilante nor do I intend to take anyone's freedoms away. Like I said, the laws here are not voted on by the people when it comes to these things, probably much like the laws in any other state. I have been stating an opinion all along and, as stated previously, I revised my original statement to a "toned down" version. After reading some of the comments, I KNOW there are sane people out there but it's hard to keep emotion out of it when you've lost someone close.

Enjoy your modified vehicles and be SAFE, don't interfere with people who are trying to go about their daily business and, most of all, be friendly while doing it. I've run in to too many "enthusiasts" that AREN'T very nice (of course, this group is one of the greatest/nicest I've come across, even when someone let's their emotions get in the way ;)) and don't give a rat's patoot about how they interact with others OUTSIDE their "club."

zjrog

Reaction score
City, State
Tooele,Ut
Year, Model & Trim Level
1990 Ranger
Sorry for the loss of your friend, Sojourner. But I believe you see street racers all around you. Maybe a little paranoid? I don't see very many, they tend to congregate and set up their events a long ways from where they will actually race. But yes, they frequently speed and drive poorly.

But, this a 4x4 forum, not a street racing forum. If you feel a need to argue, then join a street racer forum. I don't believe anyone here condones street racing. On the other hand, modifying a vehicle to be better than stock isn't illegal. And that has been well covered.

While I haven't been harassed by law enforcement for my Jeep, I have been spending a great deal of time and trouble to make sure my project Ranger is completely legal and safe. And I believe again, most here do the same...

Sojourner

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Toyota Camry
...That's why the Beach Boy's, (or was it Jan and Dean?) wrote a song about it in the '60's..;)

...Found it and a good story to read...It was Jan and Dean..:biggthump

..." The twist: unlike the usual story, this little old lady not only drives the hot car, but is a street racer who can't be beat.'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Old_Lady_from_Pasadena

Hey! I could be another Shirley "Cha Cha" Muldowney! :biggthump

Trouble is.... I'm afraid of driving that fast! :eek:

Sojourner

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Toyota Camry
Sorry for the loss of your friend, Sojourner. But I believe you see street racers all around you. Maybe a little paranoid? I don't see very many, they tend to congregate and set up their events a long ways from where they will actually race. But yes, they frequently speed and drive poorly.

But, this a 4x4 forum, not a street racing forum. If you feel a need to argue, then join a street racer forum. I don't believe anyone here condones street racing. On the other hand, modifying a vehicle to be better than stock isn't illegal. And that has been well covered.

While I haven't been harassed by law enforcement for my Jeep, I have been spending a great deal of time and trouble to make sure my project Ranger is completely legal and safe. And I believe again, most here do the same...

**Sigh** Go back and read the first post in this and then read all the way through. THEN come back and tell me you understand what this thread was all about. Rick started the thread with an article about a "car enthusiast" group being harassed by the Riverside law enforcement. It wasn't a 4x4 group but a "muscle car" group with lots of cars that had modifications.

I don't see street racers everywhere and, to be honest, it's been mainly emotions that I have been going on, which I have admitted. I later revised my initial opinion and many here agree with me. :p:

Cozmik

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Kitchener, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Automotive enthusiasts gathering in a parking lot should not be harassed by law enforcement, whether muscle cars, tuners, 4x4's, Euro etc. It's a gathering of people sharing a passion.

Having said that, racing is for a track. There is no place on open public roads for street racing. The variables are too plentiful and risks are far too high. Just my 2 cents.

Sojourner

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Toyota Camry
Automotive enthusiasts gathering in a parking lot should not be harassed by law enforcement, whether muscle cars, tuners, 4x4's, Euro etc. It's a gathering of people sharing a passion.

I would agree with that to a point. Out here, they interfere with other people, park at all different angles, take up two or more parking spaces and, generally, make a nuisance of themselves in the shopping center parking lots. I, personally, would not have a problem with them if they gathered in a way that was not intrusive to others but, for what it's worth, they just refuse to do that out here.

In the case that Rick pointed out, I honestly believe that people got so tired of them making it hard on the shoppers and proprietors that the police FINALLY had to do something about it. That's what happened at the shopping center not too far from me.

Char

Admin's Wife, Explorer Babe
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wittmann
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
Callsign
KB7TKQ
Out here the gatherings take place once per week at a few different venues. Friday night at one spot, Saturday at another, etc... Shopping centers enjoy the crowds of people as the vehicle owners buy food from the restaurants. In fact at one of the "cruise" sites you can have food delivered right to your car.

If shoppers can't deal with a crowded parking lot once a week, they need to learn to lighten up. I really don't care for all the traffic that Church's create on Sundays. They cause massive traffic jams on main roads, but hey that's life and I deal with it without complaining to the cops, or government.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Cozmik

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Kitchener, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
I would agree with that to a point. Out here, they interfere with other people, park at all different angles, take up two or more parking spaces and, generally, make a nuisance of themselves in the shopping center parking lots. I, personally, would not have a problem with them if they gathered in a way that was not intrusive to others but, for what it's worth, they just refuse to do that out here.

In the case that Rick pointed out, I honestly believe that people got so tired of them making it hard on the shoppers and proprietors that the police FINALLY had to do something about it. That's what happened at the shopping center not too far from me.

Ah, yes. The inconsiderate crowd causing problems. I keep thinking about my own experiences here. We have organized 'Cruise Nights' all summer long at various parking lots sponsored by the merchants. In these situations, no real problems pop up.

But, we also have quite a few Tim Horton's (popular coffee chain) parking lots that are FULL most nights throughout the snow free months, without many issues as well. The Police drive by once in awhile to make sure everything is cool, but that's about it. I used to be part of that crowd when I still had my Ninja ZX-6, and my IROC-Z as well. We hung out, BS'd a lot and drank a lot of coffee. The occaisonal idiot would take off in his/her muscle/tuner car with tires smoking or a bike would leave doing a wheelie, but the Cops were around and waiting for them. They were the only ones hassled, and they deserved it. Those of us that were obeying the law were left alone.