• Register Today It's free!

Police Utility Engine Fan Issue

Fordp71

Reaction score
City, State
-
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Police Utility
Just had the a/c compressor replaced (Motorcraft parts) and now my engine fan constantly stays on high speed which is very loud. If I turn the a/c off the engine fan will completely shut off after a few seconds. I checked all the fuses and did not find any issue. I then took my vehicle in for the fan relay recall and explained the issue to Ford. They said it is normal for the engine fan to run constantly at the loud high speed. This is my second Explorer/Utility (both over 100,000 miles) and the engine fans have never done this before ever. I tried explaining this to Ford and even told them to listen to another Explorer which was idling on the ramp at there dealership but they didn't care and again said my fan running at a very high loud sounding speed was normal. They did replace the fan module as per the recall but it did not help lower the fan speed any. Has this happened to anyone before?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
NOT normal. The fans go ON and OFF as required. I'd go to another dealership and see what they say. Have you looked at your temperature gauge to see if it is indicating a high temp? Did this dealer do the compressor replacement? I'm thinking there is a link to the replaced compressor and the fans running high.

Peter

I disconnected the battery to rest the computer. Fixed part of the problem as the fan does not stay on high constantly. The fan will turn on high every 30 seconds and stay on for a few seconds then lower its speed. 30 seconds later the high speed fan will kick on again. It continuously does this and is not normal, nor has the vehicle ever done this before. I brought it to another Ford dealer an hour ago and they said this was totally normal. Now two different Ford dealers believe it's normal for the engine fan to constantly go into high speed even when in idle. The dealer did not do the compressor replacement although I did use a Motorcraft part. I went to Ford after believing the fan issue was related to the new recall. The engine Temp. is normal and has not overheated.

If you are indeed in Florida, then perhaps just outside temperatures could be affecting the need for cooling.

Peter

If you are indeed in Florida, then perhaps just outside temperatures could be affecting the need for cooling.

Peter
No, outside temps. are not a factor. Even when it was hotter out the high fan never activated.

Old thread, but I had the same issue!

It turns out the left fan went bad and the right fan was compensating by running at full speed every 30 seconds(very annoying)!

I had both fans replaced and a new issue occurred, BOTH FANS WERE RUNNING AT FULL SPEED!

The new issue was due to the polarity on the replacement fans. They were blowing air in the wrong direction, causing the condenser to get hot.
The mechainc reversed the fan polarity by switching the wires and everything is back to normal now.

Back