Police wiring help - 12 wires under hood | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Police wiring help - 12 wires under hood

Pete Adams

Reaction score
City, State
Ball Ground, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer PIU
Callsign
K4PRA
I'm installing a console and wiring up radios and need to run some circuits through the firewall. Ford provides a nice set of 12 wires (6 pairs) that reside near the battery under the hood. I found these but cannot find where they terminate. I looked through the upfitter guide and all it shows is the under hood end. Anyone know where I would find the other end of those wires?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

UPFITTER WIRES FOUND

After a lot of searching I finally found the cabin end of the 12 wire bundle. In my car they were found under the dash above the brake pedal rod that goes to the MC and booster. The wires were taped over on top of another harness, no connectors just 6 or 8 inches of wire. I had to cut and pull apart the over taped harness to get access to them. They were marked with a tag that says "Upfitter wires" or something like that. I sure wish they made them a few inches longer because connecting to them was nearly impossible up under the dash.

Thanks for your comments SharkeyC. Though not where you located them, the link to the upfitters guide got me to a newer/different version of the guide than I had and should be useful.

Here's a picture if I can figure out how to post. The view is looking forward into the firewall.

I guess I can't upload pictures.

UPFITTER WIRES FOUND

After a lot of searching I finally found the cabin end of the 12 wire bundle. In my car they were found under the dash above the brake pedal rod that goes to the MC and booster. The wires were taped over on top of another harness, no connectors just 6 or 8 inches of wire. I had to cut and pull apart the over taped harness to get access to them. They were marked with a tag that says "Upfitter wires" or something like that. I sure wish they made them a few inches longer because connecting to them was nearly impossible up under the dash.

Thanks for your comments SharkeyC. Though not where you located them, the link to the upfitters guide got me to a newer/different version of the guide than I had and should be useful.

Here's a picture if I can figure out how to post. The view is looking forward into the firewall.

I guess I can't upload pictures.
Cool yeah I ran a wire thru the A pillar where the spot light went but in the process i broke the A pillar which i needed new ones anyway cause im not running the spot lights. I added a semi truck horn to my explorer. Lol if you can post the links i would love to see them and to ise them for next time I want to run wires from the engine compartment to the inside. Thanks

Yes, there it is on page 2-72. Thanks jmr061.

I wish I found that before I started searching. Mine didn't look like that though. It was completely taped up and the only reason I thought to cut into the tape was a bit of the tag was visible. I'm really good at wiring and installations but I have to say that the super short length make it almost useless. That said it was better than drilling through the firewall.

Thanks all for the reply's

Back