** POLL - Which Generation would you prefer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which Generation would you prefer?

• Gen 1 - Explorer

• Gen 2 - Explorer

• Gen 2 - Mountaineer

• Gen 3 - Explorer

• Gen 3 - Mountaineer

• Gen 4 - Explorer

• Gen 5 - Explorer

• Gen 6 - Explorer

Results are only viewable after voting.

Spudhut

US Navy Submariner
Reaction score
City, State
Bentonville, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport - 4x4
Callsign
KG5SPB
I sold my Jeep Wrangler and now I'm in the market for a "new" vehicle. :bounce:

Did some searching, but didn't find a thread that gave a quick favored review of each Gen and why.

I could be a 'Nut' having (2) Gen 2's already, but I really enjoy these vehicles and their styling.

I currently have a stock 97' Sport and the other is a modified SAS/SOA 97' V8. I love the 5.0 V8 and they are super simple to work on.

The Sport will naturally go to the kids to drive, so I need another 'daily' "Stock" vehicle that I can call my own. I prefer not to purchase a brand new one or a car payment

As I am very familiar with the 2nd Gen models, but, after looking at the different models and what is available out there, I'm still torn on choices.

I'm leaning heavy to pick up another 2nd Gen V8 Explorer/Mountaineer but I'm not very familiar with the other Generations and thought it would be a great thread to break it down in simple terms.

Yes, there are many possible quirks with each Generation, but where do you start to figure out which is better than the other.

:wave:After taking your Poll (I set it at (2) choices) - I'd like to capture the following::wave:
1. Which Gen's did you pick? :dunno:
2. List both Gen's picked and explain in order of precedence why you favor them and why? :D
4. Quirks - things to look for immediately - common problems o_O
5. Personal experience :popcorn:

:burnout:

Feel free to elaborate as much as you like. I'm hoping this thread will grow to help others in their future shopping experience :) :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My choice is always the 2nd Gen V8. Although, I did have a 1st Gen Sport 5 Speed that I would buy if I could get one pristine and cheap enough.

I voted gen 2 mountaineer. I've had 2 of them that I loved, a 00 and a 98. Got the drive train from a 97 mountaineer in my 01 Ranger, they are pretty bullet proof + easy to work on.

My wife has a 3rd gen weve had for about 7 years and 70k miles (At 170k now). THE ONLY things I haven't touched is the transmission and transfer case. Everything else from every suspension part, every wheel bearing, tearing dash out to fix broken blend doors, of course a 4.0 engine with every cooling system part..... I could go on. Only thing you can do in a 3rd gen that you can't in a 2nd is haul 7 people.

Ditto, 2nd gens for reliability, and looks etc. I prefer the Mountaineer, the red two toned specifically. I like the high optioned versions(two spoke steering wheel) best, they have everything a Limited does but the memory seat(and you could add that). Only consider the 302 versions, the V6 isn't worth the trouble unless you have spare V8 swap parts on hand.

Find one that hasn't been abused too much, which is a tall order. Look for rust and corrosion underneath, in the body seams, bottom of doors and hatch. If it's solid, then look at how equal the tires are, and how much damage it has to obsolete parts. You can't fix a cracked dash or most interior parts, other than replacing them with different used parts.

I've had..

1st gen = 2
2nd gen = 4
4th gen = 1
6th gen = 1

I've grown fawn of the classic first gen style, but not it's tired drivetrain. The simpler the better in these. I'm far the most familiar with the 2nd gen, but the style has not aged as well. You can still find some of these in good condition. The 4th gen I really like for a more modern driver. A V8 of that would be fun. The newer 6th gen is great for the family and all the bling gizmos but It scares me how these will age. There is just so much to go wrong.

With that it really depends on your needs. I'm loving the 1st gen with a newer drivetrain. Which is actually what I'm in the middle of.:D

So for you I would say late second Gen (love 01-03 sport and sport Trac) styling or 4th gen. Most of the issues are all resolved on these models. Never had any issues with our '06 at all. Kinda wished I kept it.

I'll sell you my ’97 XL 4dr. And you can swap a V8 into it.

I thought the 5th gen was from 2011 to 2018, and the new model is the 6th gen. What have I missed on the chassis changes?

93-94 or a 96-97

The first gen tailgate is far superior to the 98+ "bubble butt"
The heavier lift gate and components from 91-97 hold up better over time, plus I like the styling a bit better.
I like 93 because no EGR and no CPS, 94 is okay too but they added the egr and cps
Not that it really matters because I would swap in a later model ohv and convert to obd2
I said gen I because you already know the gen II platform
It is time for you to get a TTB and a steering gear box LOL
Sport if you are going to wheel it or give it to kids (harder to get friends in back seat)
Or 4 door if you like space for kids, gear and dog...
96 was my fav year of the Gen II, simply because I had/daily drove one and they are tanks
that or a fully loaded 2001 Limited or Mercury 5.0L I really like those

The Gen II Explorer was the bread and butter for Ford loving families all across the USA for many many years.
My stepsons and I have built many many Rangers, Explorers and other RBV over the years.
I have recycled/crushed many many more.
If I could build my personal collection I would have:
1. My 1988 Bronco II, the short wheelbase is just so much fun
2. A built 302 Long travel IFS 5.0 V8 4x4 Sport trac (for taking the kids to school)
3. A built up Mazda extended cab 4 door, I like the Mazda doors and bed lines better then the Ford, 331 stroker, M50d-R2, disc brake
We already have 3 v8 explorers around here, 96, 98 and 98 my stepsons and their wives.
I love all RBV if you can't tell, I have settled with just the BII and sold everything else. Only because I have a 01 Excursion 7.3 that is getting lifted, a 2000 7.3 E350 chateu Van that is getting 4x4 and my "Shop truck" 97 F350 4 door flatbed...the B2 and the F350 are the only thing I get time to daily drive andf build up! Anything else would just sit.......Between the tractors, the Polaris machines the kids and the wives vehicles, I cant justify keeping one of the Sport tracs I have downstairs getting a V8 (Im trying, pushing the issue with the boss LOL)...It was a sad day when I sold my old 96 Explorer but she wasn't getting used
That's my 02

I thought the 5th gen was from 2011 to 2018, and the new model is the 6th gen. What have I missed on the chassis changes?

That's what I was thinking too....but sense you can't buy a "6th Gen" yet, and he said he didn't want new I'm not sure why it's a option in the poll. That's what threw me off.:dunno:

93-94 or a 96-97

The first gen tailgate is far superior to the 98+ "bubble butt"
The heavier lift gate and components from 91-97 hold up better over time, plus I like the styling a bit better.
I like 93 because no EGR and no CPS, 94 is okay too but they added the egr and cps
Not that it really matters because I would swap in a later model ohv and convert to obd2
I said gen I because you already know the gen II platform
It is time for you to get a TTB and a steering gear box LOL
Sport if you are going to wheel it or give it to kids (harder to get friends in back seat)
Or 4 door if you like space for kids, gear and dog...
96 was my fav year of the Gen II, simply because I had/daily drove one and they are tanks
that or a fully loaded 2001 Limited or Mercury 5.0L I really like those

The Gen II Explorer was the bread and butter for Ford loving families all across the USA for many many years.
My stepsons and I have built many many Rangers, Explorers and other RBV over the years.
I have recycled/crushed many many more.
If I could build my personal collection I would have:
1. My 1988 Bronco II, the short wheelbase is just so much fun
2. A built 302 Long travel IFS 5.0 V8 4x4 Sport trac (for taking the kids to school)
3. A built up Mazda extended cab 4 door, I like the Mazda doors and bed lines better then the Ford, 331 stroker, M50d-R2, disc brake
We already have 3 v8 explorers around here, 96, 98 and 98 my stepsons and their wives.
I love all RBV if you can't tell, I have settled with just the BII and sold everything else. Only because I have a 01 Excursion 7.3 that is getting lifted, a 2000 7.3 E350 chateu Van that is getting 4x4 and my "Shop truck" 97 F350 4 door flatbed...the B2 and the F350 are the only thing I get time to daily drive andf build up! Anything else would just sit.......Between the tractors, the Polaris machines the kids and the wives vehicles, I cant justify keeping one of the Sport tracs I have downstairs getting a V8 (Im trying, pushing the issue with the boss LOL)...It was a sad day when I sold my old 96 Explorer but she wasn't getting used
That's my 02

Buy them all, and don't sell any of them. That's my plan, but I can't afford them all, or the space.

explorers that i have owned to keep.
1st gen (cant remember if it was a 91 92) sport. ohv, 5spd. that thing was rock solid.
2nd gen 98 sport. have had it over 10 years, and has morphed into something that i would have never thought i would do if you would roll back time and told me when i first bought it.
as well as my kids 00 sport
first gen, if it was a 5spd and you didnt have the crappy auto hubs, i would highly dout it will die unless your a massive idiot.
second gens, i would say a 5L. parts are everywhere for the motors. as well as you dont need a masters in rocket science to work on them as well. people can get 300 plus out of them without even pulling a valve cover. they to just dont know how to die.

Two tone red Mountaineer wins the contest, Don settled it.

Cool. Those are still out here, but rare also. I'll get my black Limited painted some time next year, and you tell me if it looks close to the OEM Mercury we have. I've seen some OEM reds that will work as the dark color bottom. But the top I've got some blood red concentrate to add into the Toreador Red, with some pearl removed, and some gold pearl added.

I hope people are saving these trucks, in about ten years there won't be many left to work with.

Bad news!
2nd gen Mountaineer head lights or corner lights no longer found on ebay like they used to be. Maybe some spotty used stuff.

Available new on Rockauto for $18.

For me, First and Second Gen all the way, but only certain years, models, and combinations.

For first Gen - anything with a stick, as that's what I have owned for the last 20 years as my daily driver, and it will continue to be till it dies...lest I convert it to an EV. I had an ex-girlfriend years ago that bought an Eddie Bauer because she liked my sport, it had the A4LD - the acceleration was night and day - made my sport look like a Mustang GT by comparison. I also pretty much only have to do maintenance on it aside from various 20-30 year old parts that started wearing out, and even then, it's easy to fix and find parts for still. And what I can't find on a First Gen I can find on a Ranger or a 2nd Gen.

If I were to go Automatic, 2nd Gen or 3rd Gen Sport for sure. Stick shift only still for OHV years, and I hear the V8's with the 302 are awesome I hear as it's basically the Mustang drivetrain which is also excellent. Also, the 4.0's have the 5R55 series transmissions, which is what my mom's Sport Trac has and that thing is still on it's original transmission at over 200K and it's still her Daily driver - so if it can pull a 2002 Sport Trac for 20 years without issue, I'm pretty sure the Regular Explorer should be much the same. I also kind of dig the crazy Halo Space vehicle look of the 01-03' Sport.

She’s just lucky. 5r55e’s aren’t good transmissions.

They are all good when they are new, but then people get ahold of them and stop changing the oil properly etc. They all go bad with bad owners.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’d kill a 5r no matter what the maintenance schedule was.

Back