poor acceleration at high rpm, doesn't shift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

poor acceleration at high rpm, doesn't shift

DrkPony

Reaction score
City, State
Delaware County, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mounty Premier AWD
2004 AWD Mounty 4.6L with 150K on the clock.

If I drive normal (up to 3000rpm) acceleration and shifting are fine, idle is perfect. If I floor it, it goes up to 4000-4500 rpms and just hangs, doesn't shift for a few seconds or unless i take my foot off the gas. Seems like it doesn't have any power on the top end. I went camping about a month ago and was going up some steep hills, I couldn't accelerate only maintain speed, I had a minivan pass me so I know somethings not right.

Occasionally when flooring it i get a P0300 code, normal driving I don't have any codes. This week I got a P0153 and P0133 and a P0305 code when flooring it, but I cleared codes and they didn't come back. She just doesn't have any top end power and engine sounds loud or like it's straining. I've done the following recently:

New fuel pump and fuel filter
Clean MAF and throttle body (smoothed out idle)
New coil on plugs, cheapies ($30 amazon) (I'm thinking this is the problem but reviews are like 4.7 out of 5), I had 2 bad coils so I bought all new ones, maybe should have got the $200 MSD coils.
New air filter
plugs have 50K on them
Added techron to gas

Doesn't seem like the hard shifts are due to trans, anyone experience this? any suggestions? Clean EGR?

Back