• Register Today It's free!

Poor Handling When Windy

cfoellmer

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer Limite
We have noticed that the handling of the 2020 Explorer is not ideal. It feels like driving on ice. It is especially bad when it is windy. The car is all over and the slightest movement of the steering wheel feels like you're swaying back and forth. Has anyone noticed this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Considering all the 6th gen Explorer owners here, I believe this is the first time this has been mentioned. Have you mentioned this to your dealer?

Peter

Have you done a 4 wheel alignment yet? Funky toe settings that are
"with-in specs" will do what you are explaining. Also are the air
pressures on the "low" side of the recommended specs?

Have you done a 4 wheel alignment yet? Funky toe settings that are
"with-in specs" will do what you are explaining. Also are the air
pressures on the "low" side of the recommended specs?
Agreed as quoted, have the alignment checked. Front toe and caster can cause "wander" and rear toe settings can cause "squirming" especially at higher speeds. BTW, are your wheels and tires OEM? Aftermarket wheels, tires and "plus sizing" can cause stability problems.

Have you checked the tire pressures to make sure they were reduced to the proper PSI from the shipping setup?

Peter

Also check to make sure the front sway bar is there and actually attached. A missing or not attached sway bar will cause excessive body lean while turning and during high wind conditions.

By not attached I mean a missing end link or a broken one. If just one side is broken or missing it will render the entire sway bar useless.

Ford has anti sway electronics working in the background. This is the weird feeling you are getting. I wish you could turn it off because I think it does more harm than good.

I've driven mine in the pretty stout breezes brought by Fred and Ida. I've not noticed any directional instability. Tire inflation could be the culprit, alignment too.

The old Excursions had to be frequently reminded what direction it should be taking . I've not seen anything besides that.

Back