Poor man's lift kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Poor man's lift kit

Covrace

Reaction score
First question:Can I add an "ADD a Laef" kit to my truck without removing the spring completely?Who is currently carrying the add a leaf kits. How much height can I expect?
Second question.Can someone explain the idea of using spacers on the front coils??? How much height can I get and can the spacers be installed without a coil compresser? Again, who is urrently carrying these saces. Anyone currently using either of these lifting techniques???
thanks a bunch!!!!!

lift

Covrace,

An add a leaf put on your explorer right now will actually lower your vehicle. The leaf springs run under the axle, so adding springs would only bring it further from the axle and lower to the ground. You would have to get an axle "flipping" kit first. Superlift sells one. However, if you do this you are looking at about 5.5" of lift in the rear. If you are looking for a smaller lift at minimal cost either try to find some longer shackles for the leafs or try a 2-3" body lift. As for the spacers on the coils. They are urithane rings that go over the top of the coil creating about a 1" gap between the spring and the suspension tower. I am not sure if you need to compress the spring but my guess is no if you still have the stock springs. Your for sure won't have to if you disconnect the radius arm at the rear attachment and let the axle swing all the way down. Hope all this helps.

Campbell

Acutally, an Add a leaf will not lower the vehicle. Adding a flat spring (like an overload) will lower it. An add-a-leaf spring is arched far more than the heigh of the spring its self so it lifts your vehicle the height of the acutal spring and then some. If your rear springs are in good shape (low miles) or you like how they ride you most likely don't want to do an add-a-leaf as it will stiffen up the rear suspension. You can replace the rear spring shackles with Warrior Product shackles. These shakles are 8.5" long and will raise the rear of your truck by about 1.5" assuming you have 5.5" long rear shackles.

We use an Add-a-leaf (196xxx miles on the factory rear springs) to lift the rear and stiffen it up a little and then have added a set of Warrior Product Shackles to lift it another 1.5". This gives us about 3" of lift in the rear. We are using a James Duff 2.5" lift kit so it is level, you would not be able to use both an add-a-leaf and shackles since you can't lift the front 3" and still have it alignable(sp?)

Hope this helps..

Spacers

If I put spacers in the front, 1-2" will I need an alignment? There will be shackles in back.

Back