Popping/binding in 4wd Hello - First time posting on here. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Popping/binding in 4wd Hello - First time posting on here.

HowDog123

Reaction score
City, State
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac, 4x4 xls
Hello out there,

This is my first post, not sure how to get around yet, I have been learning from this website for a couple of years with great results! Thanks to all of you!

I have some problems with me 2004 Ford Explorer Sport trac, currently, I should not say currently...this has been going on for a long time, I have 240K on this truck, but I have a 4x4 Shudder/Binding and loud bang noise like it has popped out of a spline or skipped over a gear, this mostly happens In Turns but only in 4x4 high and low, the loud popping/binding can also happen when going "straight" but down a steep hill while under a lot of torsion, it will just like come out of gear/bang/ then still be in gear? it does not happen in 2 wheel drive at all. I have looked around and some suggestions are that I might reset my 4x4 control module? Or I could have bad ABS sensors? I love to go off roading, and love using my LOW, but this also happens in HIGH 4x4 but does not happen as much or as severe in 4x4 HIGH. Would love some insight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum. I moved your thread to our Stock 2001 - 2005 Sport Trac, subforum.

Your not driving in 4WD on dry paved surfaces are you?

Your not driving in 4WD on dry paved surfaces are you?

I thought that as well, but he said it was doing it while going down steep, offroad terrain. I was thinking that it may be the clutch in the transfercase if his model is equipped that way, but I am not that familiar with their transfercases.

I thought that as well, but he said it was doing it while going down steep, offroad terrain. I was thinking that it may be the clutch in the transfercase if his model is equipped that way, but I am not that familiar with their transfercases.

I think he has something going on in his t-case.

My 2002 XLT got itself "locked" into 4wd and I had to drive it about 80 km on hard track. So I think I seized the clutches at front of transfer case. It had the same popping and clicking problem.

I will write a full post about it.

Back