Popping, Clicking noise from front. Newer TSB | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Popping, Clicking noise from front. Newer TSB

foxtemple

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
Does anyone else think their front suspension sounds like its made of wood [especially when going over speed bumps]? There's also this little rubber cover that keeps coming off of the top of where my struts are too [please reference picture]. I always miraculously find it somewhere in the engine bay and just stick it back on... get's old after a while. Is anyone else experiencing any of this?

http://flic.kr/p/duGkiH Posting a pic directly on here is beyond me...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Popping, Ticking from front. Newer TSB

I've been having a popping/clicking noise coming from the front of my 2013 Explorer Sport. Looks like there is a TSB on it and a fairly easy fix. I checked the TSB thread above and didn't see it. So I figured I would post i there in case anyone else has the issue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2xcg8injh79zb4u/tsb13-05-14.pdf

I've been having a popping/clicking noise coming from the front of my 2013 Explorer Sport. Looks like there is a TSB on it and a fairly easy fix. I checked the TSB thread above and didn't see it. So I figured I would post i there in case anyone else has the issue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2xcg8injh79zb4u/tsb13-05-14.pdf
Thanks for the info Ken. :thumbsup: The TSB thread doesn't have any TSBs for the 2013 models.
I would like to suggest that you update your profile with the model and year of your Explorer so that the info will appear in the left hand margin where your name shows. That will help members in answering any future concerns you may have and save you entering it in every post.
Good luck with the repair.

Peter

Ken, was the noise comming from "end play" or was it slipping in the splines:eek: ?

Red13Sport

Ken, was the noise comming from "end play" or was it slipping in the splines:eek: ?

Red13Sport

It's endplay. That's why the thrust washer fixes it. I haven't gotten this done yet. I know a few people with the noise though.

Thinking I may have to make a trip to the dealer, I've been hearing this whenever i back in to my parking space...

And something that sounds similar at my 2-3 shift when giving it the beans which I hope isn't something more problematic

My '13 Sport does the same thing. At first I thought it's probably nothing but now the more I hear it, it's getting on my nerves.

It's endplay. That's why the thrust washer fixes it. I haven't gotten this done yet. I know a few people with the noise though.

Thinking I may have to make a trip to the dealer, I've been hearing this whenever i back in to my parking space...

And something that sounds similar at my 2-3 shift when giving it the beans which I hope isn't something more problematic

My '13 Sport does the same thing. At first I thought it's probably nothing but now the more I hear it, it's getting on my nerves.

Hi Ken Bjonnes, Ryan327, and converted_21.

I'd like to take a look and see how I can help you. Could you please PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info?

Ashley

I've noticed clicking when I turn as I'm driving in my parking garage (slow sharp turns). I assumed that was part of the AWD system allowing slip like a limited slip does so you can turn. This sounds different than that...

We bought out explorer and it does the same thing. The problem is that we bought the truck with 50,000 miles on it. So we are out of warranty. Does anyone know how much this would cost to do?

I think it is a shame that they have not recalled these trucks with this many people having trouble. This is my first Ford vehicle and it figures that this would happen to me also. I was hoping that it was just a bushing, but it's not.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

We bought out explorer and it does the same thing. The problem is that we bought the truck with 50,000 miles on it. So we are out of warranty. Does anyone know how much this would cost to do?...

Hi POLARIS PRO,

I recommend making an appointment at your dealership. They'll be in the best position to diagnose your vehicle and provide you with an estimate for any necessary repairs. Feel free to reach out to me via PM if you have any other questions or concerns.

Crystal

TSB for axle click noise

Just contributing to the community. I noticed a noise not unlike a bad CV joint click when shifting from forwards to backwards or backwards to forwards and when shifting from 1st to 2nd in manual and automatic. The click is noticeable only with windows down and easier to hear when there are objects nearby to reflect the sound back at you like when backing out of the garage or even better a second person to act as a spotter. Noise seemed to be coming from the driver side and is only 1 click per change of direction or gear change. It is not a continuous click. Took the Ex in for 5000 mile oil change and recreated the sound for service advisor. They needed to keep it for a couple days since parts needed were not in stock. Invoice states- INSTALL WASHERS ON BOTH AXLES PER TSB
WASHER- THRUST
NUT AND WASHER ASY-
NUT
Seems to have solved the problem. Hope this helps somebody out.

I have a creeking/clicking that appears to be coming from the right front wheel when turning left.

Took it in for oil change at dealer and they said there was a TSB to fix. I assume it is the same as above

Just found out mine is doing that too. Never hear it with windows up. Right front wheel, steering turned to the left, 10 mph or higher. Sounds like rubber squeaking on metal with a click noise. The TSB performed last time was done on both axles and cured the original click. This is a whole new noise.

yes, all of the above and now I have noise from thje front springs when I turn the steering.

I'm dropping my X off tomorrow for them to take a look. Has anyone received a diagnosis on this noise. Mine occurs whenever you go over a bump or are driving on a bumpy road. All is quiet on a smooth ride. Sounds like it comes from both side of the front suspension, not just from one side.

Ercole

I'm dropping my X off tomorrow for them to take a look. Has anyone received a diagnosis on this noise. Mine occurs whenever you go over a bump or are driving on a bumpy road. All is quiet on a smooth ride. Sounds like it comes from both side of the front suspension, not just from one side.

Ercole

Come back and let us know what your dealer has to say, Ercole. How many miles do you have on your Explorer these days?

Crystal

Hi Crystal,

Will do. I'm only at 33,500 on my X, but slightly over the 3 yr mark. Still love the ride. Just purchased the Escape Ti for my wife. What a fun car to drive!

I'll circle back after tomorrow's check up.

Ercole

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine is in the shop (dealer) (yesterday) for the exact same reason w/20700 clicks on the ol'odo.

Let's see what they have to say.

BM

Back