Popping, crack sound behind dash | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Popping, crack sound behind dash

mtz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
12 explorer
Anyone run into the cracking popping sound (sounds like a pebble hits the windshield) behind the dash around the radio? It happens everytime I drive but at random points and I can't locate where it's coming from?

I have a 2012 Exp without MFT.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This thread already play a few days ago, I also had that snap like a stone hitting the windshield, some days ago windshield cleaning the inside hard plastic inadvertently thrust beneath the windshield where are the air vents and light sensor and could play a very similar sound in two or three occasions, do you test to see

Ok where is the thread discussion/solution for this problem. Can you help?

This thread deals with the January 4, 2012 with the title and remove the front panel of the instrument, but he was not a solution and no more was said on the subject

My post for this is titled "Cracking sound coming from the fan control knob area"

I have a 2012 Base.

I removed the Front control interface module (FCIM) and held it in my hand and noticed that the cracking sound is coming from the fan control knob area.

I have an apointment with the dealer tomorrow. I hope it happens for the tech.

BruceF please keep me posted so I know what I can tell the dealar, thx.

I went to the dealer today and we took my ex for a 20 minute ride with the heat on. The cracking sound happened 3 times (boy I was lucky). They are going to order the front control interface module (FCIM). I will keep you posted.

thx for the update. It happened twice this morning but nothing over the weekend. Please let me know how I can take off the FCIM or if you have a picture of what the part exactly looks like that would help me understand better...

The FCIM is the front center panel that houses the radio volume, radio tuning, fan speed control, temperature control as well as the center vents.

Take a look at the thread posted by Forkmachine 1-11-2012 titled MFT Screen removal. Follow the directions but stop when you get the the MFT part.

Anyone run into the cracking popping sound (sounds like a pebble hits the windshield) behind the dash around the radio?...
This thread deals with the January 4, 2012 with the title and remove the front panel of the instrument, but he was not a solution and no more was said on the subject
mtz & Tavin,

I’m available to help by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to do that, please send a PM with your mileage, contact information, dealer name/state, and VIN.

I went to the dealer today and we took my ex for a 20 minute ride with the heat on. The cracking sound happened 3 times (boy I was lucky). They are going to order the front control interface module (FCIM). I will keep you posted.
Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated, Bruce. :)

Cory

Thanks Cory, always friendly and doing excellent work, really I do not mind a lot and not so common, however a question, I live in Nicaragua, you may receive help from there?, Thank you very much

Thanks Cory, always friendly and doing excellent work, really I do not mind a lot and not so common, however a question, I live in Nicaragua, you may receive help from there?, Thank you very much
Thanks for your kind words, Tavin. :) Since you live in Nicaragua, you can call Ford Customer Service for the Caribbean and Central America @ +1 (1) 313 594 4857 for help.

Cory

The FCIM is the front center panel that houses the radio volume, radio tuning, fan speed control, temperature control as well as the center vents.

Take a look at the thread posted by Forkmachine 1-11-2012 titled MFT Screen removal. Follow the directions but stop when you get the the MFT part.

I am very curious to see if the dealer repair will fix the problem. If it does, I'll take it to my dealer and give Cory from Ford CC a heads-up.

Thank you very kindly Cory

The dealer replaced the FCIM Front control Interface module and sad to say a day later, the unit ihas started its poping cracking sounds.

I have not yet call the dealer back.

They did say that they are going to send the unit original back to the manufacturer.

Hopefully they can duplicate it on their test bench.

Would it be possible to make a video of the crackling/popping noise? I am extremely curious as to what this sound is like.

I tell guys again and maybe I'm wrong I could play in a noise occasion to push down the hard plastic where it exits the air conditioning on board, I tried to play again but I could not, Greetings

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I removed the panel and the poping cracking sound on "my vehicle" was coming from the front control module and only when the heat is on.

Back