Popping noises when turning?

1banger

New, "06/01/2011 Build date, Limited has popping noise when turning
steering wheel. Only one pop is heard.

Easy to duplicate, as it happens every time I turn the wheel left or right
to make a turn. In both forward and reverse. Sounds like a steering
linkage issue, or possible front strut loose as it happens when you make a slow
speed turn which unloads the front suspension on the side you are turning
towards. Don't notice it at normal road driving speeds.

Anyone else have or had this?

I am going to the dealer to have a leaking (moisture in the lens), LED turn signal module replaced in the right side door mirror on Monday and will demonstrate for them.

Just a quick review. Overall, happy with the way it drives and rides. Very
quiet inside. Did a lot of test drives and researched forums on Audi, Lexus,
VW, 4Runner, Pilot. When it was all said and done the LTD won with more standard features and quiet ride, for the price.

Was well aware of issues with MFT, and a few other things, rgt A Pillar and such. So far only very slight pillar buzz at highway speeds and 15mph or so crosswind. Can only hear if everything is turned off inside. Will monitor to see if it gets worse. MFT rebooted 2 times so far. It does take about 15 to 20 seconds to fully boot to the point where voice commands or operable. No problems so far with other issues mentioned here and in know TSB's.

Currently 600 miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a 4WD or 2WD? When I turn, I hear grinding noises like you would hear if you maybe had a wheel bearing issue or something. It only happens sometimes though. I have 4WD. Is the popping noise constant? Or is it just one pop.

Popping, creaking

I just posted about creaking front end suspension. Maybe we are experiencing similar things. Let me know what you find out from the dealer. I also have 600 miles.

New, "06/01/2011 Build date, Limited has popping noise when turning
steering wheel. Only one pop is heard.

Easy to duplicate, as it happens every time I turn the wheel left or right
to make a turn. In both forward and reverse. Sounds like a steering
linkage issue, or possible front strut loose as it happens when you make a slow
speed turn which unloads the front suspension on the side you are turning
towards. Don't notice it at normal road driving speeds.

Anyone else have or had this?

I am going to the dealer to have a leaking (moisture in the lens), LED turn signal module replaced in the right side door mirror on Monday and will demonstrate for them.

Just a quick review. Overall, happy with the way it drives and rides. Very
quiet inside. Did a lot of test drives and researched forums on Audi, Lexus,
VW, 4Runner, Pilot. When it was all said and done the LTD won with more standard features and quiet ride, for the price.

Was well aware of issues with MFT, and a few other things, rgt A Pillar and such. So far only very slight pillar buzz at highway speeds and 15mph or so crosswind. Can only hear if everything is turned off inside. Will monitor to see if it gets worse. MFT rebooted 2 times so far. It does take about 15 to 20 seconds to fully boot to the point where voice commands or operable. No problems so far with other issues mentioned here and in know TSB's.

Currently 600 miles.
Have you had a chance to have these noises diagnosed yet at the dealer 1banger and DDF? I’d like to offer my assistance and do everything I can to help. So I can do this, please send me a private message with your Explorer’s VIN, approximate mileage, dealer name, and contact info.

Do you have a 4WD or 2WD? When I turn, I hear grinding noises like you would hear if you maybe had a wheel bearing issue or something. It only happens sometimes though. I have 4WD. Is the popping noise constant? Or is it just one pop.
From previous messages, I already have your VIN, so I would be happy to lend a hand if you PM me with the other details I mentioned above.

Cory

Mine pops at slow speeds turning left or right. Sometimes one pop, sometimes two or three. Sometimes uphill, sometimes downhill, sometimes speed bumps. Only while going slow.

Mine pops at slow speeds turning left or right. Sometimes one pop, sometimes two or three. Sometimes uphill, sometimes downhill, sometimes speed bumps. Only while going slow.
As I mentioned above, I recommend taking your Explorer to your dealer so they can diagnose these pops. Please let me know via PM if you’d be interested in having me escalate your concern.

Cory

Got the LED module in the mirror replaced but they need to keep it all day to try and diagnose the pops. So this Monday it goes in for that and the 2.11 update.

I only get one pop when it happens, and I have spent some time
trouble shooting the symptoms. I used to be an ASE certified mechanic in my younger years, and have spent many days underneath vehicles on the lift looking for things like this.

It's looking more like a suspension issue. The pop sound can be heard from
all four corners of the vehicle front and rear. Less from the rear than the front. When driving slowly like in a shopping center, or mall lot. Only when making a turn forward or in reverse. Almost like the top of the strut mounts on front and the top shock mounts in the rear were not torqued properly during assembly at the factory. Allowing bit of movement when enough force is applied and causing a pop when it moves and comes to rest on
what ever is stopping it from moving further. Then when turning the opposite way it pops back to the original position.

Will have to wait and see what the line mechanics at the dealership come up with. They did test drive it after explaining the pops to them and how to easily duplicate it, and they heard it right away.

I'll report back on Monday.

Have the same problem with my explorer took it to the dealer twice. They couldn't fix the problem. Now they are flying a Ford engineer to check it out. I was told its not normal. I hear one pop also when I start driving and make turns.

Have the same problem with my explorer took it to the dealer twice. They couldn't fix the problem. Now they are flying a Ford engineer to check it out. I was told its not normal. I hear one pop also when I start driving and make turns.
I’m glad to hear they’re working with you to get this taken care of, Abrego702. If you would like any additional help until then, please private message me with your VIN, contact info, dealer name, and approximate mileage.

Cory

Is this different from the grinding noise thread. That was determined to be the ABS self check as explained in the manual.

Make sure to post the results of the Ford engineer session. Would like to hear what he comes up with. Maybe it could help other dealer service dept's get the issue addressed.

Is this different from the grinding noise thread. That was determined to be the ABS self check as explained in the manual.

This is a popping noise when you make a turn and the weight of the vehicle, loads or unloads the suspension. One pop per event, no grinding noises.

We too are having this same issue with the popping when turning left or right.

Incline or no incline the noise is consistent and can be heard int he cabin.

That is one thing...the other is really bad wind noise from the front of the windshield at 70 mph.

I will be following this thread.

Ok, an update on the Ford dealers service dept's attempt to diagnose this noise.
They said it is very hard to isolate the issue. The lead tech said that he has sent
Ford a request for a steering column knuckle bushing, and will try that.

All the usual suspects such at front strut or coil pack mounting locations looked
good and torqued to spec. Steering linkages all looked good. Rack and pinion
mounts were torqued to spec. Apparently there is a bushing in the steering knuckle
mounting flange plate that could be bad and causing the popping noise when the
steering wheel shaft is in the turned position, putting side load on the bushing.
Not a bad theory, just hope Ford sees fit to send him a new one to try it out.

Will update again on next trip to the dealer.

I too am having this problem! My brand new explorer has been in the shop for 2 weeks. The service techs can't figure it out and don't seem to be knowledgeable. Just doing trial and error (guessing). Please help!

I got it too!

I have also taken it to the Dealer, they definately acknowledge something is a miss. I just have to take it back, they hooked it up the a machine where they can detect NVH. So I just have to take it back, most likely I'll do this this next week when I can leave it for them to find it and isolate the problem. So far I have driven 7300miles, but now I have the time to let her sit at the dealer hopefully they can figure it out aswell.

I just want it rectified before the warranty period is up.

our issue is now fixed.

Ford removed the front skins and re welded the front two plates and replaced skin. They also used the noise detection device.

Solved our problem...

Sounds as if this is a common issue and the fix from Ford solved our issue so I suspect you will see lots of TSB's for this in the near future.

our issue is now fixed.

Ford removed the front skins and re welded the front two plates and replaced skin. They also used the noise detection device.

Solved our problem...

Sounds as if this is a common issue and the fix from Ford solved our issue so I suspect you will see lots of TSB's for this in the near future.
Front skins....front two plates..???????

Front skins....front two plates..???????

The skin is the front covers that cover the bumper. Its called a skin. It just plastic covers that make up the front of the car just below where the hood meets the latch. All that and down is called a skin.

As for the two plates I am referring to. They are part of the frame and behind the bumper. They run across the front of the car and there are two sides...front facing and rear...they are welded together at the factory, or at least they are supposed to be welded together.

Sorry no pictures but I may try to get under there and see if I can see it behind the skin.

Yes please more insight on this and so you have the reciept of work done and can you post it on this thread. Of course sharpie out what info you wish not to display....

When I took it in they didn't have a clue or couldn't find it, I'd like to have a point of reference. Thank you in advance for your time.

our issue is now fixed.

Solved our problem...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes please more insight on this and so you have the reciept of work done and can you post it on this thread. Of course sharpie out what info you wish not to display....

When I took it in they didn't have a clue or couldn't find it, I'd like to have a point of reference. Thank you in advance for your time.

I sure do wish I could tell yo more but Ford did a lot of work to our car while it was there. They repainted the rear QTR panel b/c i wasn't painted proply from the factory, they did the wind noise pillar fix, replaced out Sync system and fixed the popping noise. I just went to the garage and tried to look for it and its complely covered by the skin so I cannot get a photo for you. They didn't give us any paper work either. We did have the assistance from the regional ford rep and she was great. I would recommend you try to contact yours and see if they can provide assistance. This is an EASY fix, once they figured it out, it tool them only a few min to spot weld the two plates together. The noise you hear are the two plates rubbing each other when the frame flexes any any angle.

I can tell you that if you look at your front bumper (Skin) it is directly behind it. It must be removed to inspect the two parts. I did see it with the skin off and they showed me exactly what the problem was.

That is about as detailed as I can get for you guys.

RR

Back