portable gas tank above spare tire | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

portable gas tank above spare tire

sonik

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Am I asking for trouble with this setup? It fits under there pretty well and with the spare tire up it should further keep it from popping out. It's plastic and empty, I figure if I run out of gas I can think about what I did (or didn't) do when I'm walking to the gas station :)

Maybe I could find a metal one similarly sized, fill it up, and secure it a little better.

gastank.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Empty it's fine. However, I think the only place for a full gas container is on the roof, in a special holder on the bumper, or other wise secured well upright outside the vehicle.

I agree with Alec, Empty is fine, but having one full is asking for trouble.

Just a thought:

Fully empty, washed out it's fine. It is not ok down there if it still has gas residue in it. Then it's just a time bomb.

Good idea.

BTW Alec, the red text in your signature always trips me up when I'm looking through a thread with highlighted search terms in it. Not that I'm complaining... it's usually your post with the info I'm looking for anyway :)

How did she get to post pic if Sonik is not an Elite? :( I've asked this before but I can't find if someone had answered it.

Ooops, I don't know where I got that "She" from, sorry 'bout that.

Back