Possessed? Revving to 3k rpm - Takes 6k rpm to shift to next gear? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possessed? Revving to 3k rpm - Takes 6k rpm to shift to next gear?

Johnny Glenn

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
02-04 Explorers
Thanks for looking in - I've got an 02 Explorer V6 2WD that seems possessed. I've been trying to track down a noise @ front driver to no avail -bearings, ball joints, rotors, etc - no luck - a mystery to me and a local mechanic has also given up.....but......now it is beginning to just shutoff but will crank later on. It is revving to 3k rpm but will idle down when in drive - it then takes 6k rpm to shift to next gears! It has been driving fine with no trans problems - not sure this is a trans problem but maybe computer issue? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replaced TPS and idles OK now - it still takes 6k rpm to shift gears! Any ideas?

I can shift manually through the gears - but in drive it takes 6k rpm to shift through. Anyone ever heard of this before? Certainly the trans could be toast but any other possibilities - Computer module? I've also noticed if I back off the gas - it will then shift. The forum has always been a great help but this one seems to have everyone stumped?

This looks like a one way post?! This forum has been a great help on many issues...but not this one? That's ok - maybe this will help someone. I took the X to a trans shop and was told that the trans is not getting a signal from the TPS. I had replaced the TPS recently thinking that might be the problem with my high idle issue, so chances are it's the TPS harness or PCM. If you have trans issues don't forget to check these before spending big $ or time on the trans. :salute:

JG
The only thing I can tell you is the my 01 did that. Trans guy said time to rebuild, not having the time nor the place, was 1500 dollars.

sorry for the no help. check back help will come.

Vehicle speed sensor

I'm not familiar with your vehicle but on my 2000 there is a vehicle speed sensor (VSS) that the PCM uses to decide when to shift. On my Sport the VSS is located on top of the rear differential. You may want to research for a VSS on your model.

To close posts and help others -- the issue was a faulty TPS, aftermarket TPS didn't solve problem but once OEM part was on the Explorer - it ran perfect! TPS is a throttle position sensor located on back/top of engine - this sensor lets transmission know when to shift due to rpms - when it quits working you'd swear your transmission is shot!! I'd imagine 1000's of transmissions have been replaced due to a $40 TPS!!!!

To close posts and help others -- the issue was a faulty TPS, aftermarket TPS didn't solve problem but once OEM part was on the Explorer - it ran perfect! TPS is a throttle position sensor located on back/top of engine - this sensor lets transmission know when to shift due to rpms - when it quits working you'd swear your transmission is shot!! I'd imagine 1000's of transmissions have been replaced due to a $40 TPS!!!!

The dealership service dept likely could have diagnosed this. I only bring this up because your mechanic wasn't able to find the source of the issue after you had repeatedly taken the truck to him. I'd find a new wrench.

I don't think you got any suggestions with your noise issue, because you didn't describe the problem. And your truck shutting off was also a 1-liner. Need more info on both of those problems, perhaps make individual posts for each describing in detail what the issues really are, hard to diagnose if there's no information.

Back