• Register Today It's free!

Possible 4.0 K&N for 3rd gens?

Vinsanity92

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island,New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT NBX
Ok so I know this is going to get a lot of people super excited but I was tooling through the 06-10 section and someone over there bought the v-8 k&n and installed it into a v6 explorer I dont see why this wouldnt work in our trucks as it is the same motor and what looks to be the same engine bay. It even shares what looks to be the same MAF sensor........ what does everyone think yes no maybe?

Heres a link to the thread in question

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307160&highlight=4.0+cai

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am thinking about it, looks like it should work to me.

Thats because a 2004 intake is different from 2002-2003. The airflow sensor is built into the intake box.

Exactly. That being said you may be able to get a man sensor from an 02 or 03 because the sensor itself is the exact same I think just a different mounting method.

He says somewhere in those posts that he tried that and it just threw codes. So no it won't work. Your best bet is this http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Spectre-MAFS-adapter-tuning-kit/_/N-25nb?itemIdentifier=939537_0_0_

I've bought one of those before.. Said it fit.. Was way off. That being said the packaging could have been wrong who knows.

What really turned me off was how cheap the plastic was! I kinda like my setup now I modified the air box free flowing filter and got rid of the drone boxes and it is awesome. Thanks for the link tho

It will fit, here's some pic's of mine.
DSCN0896.jpg

DSCN0897.jpg

It will fit, here's some pic's of mine.
DSCN0896.jpg

DSCN0897.jpg

that looks simple enough, just removing the stock one. do you have the model number for the K&N you put on ? looks great.

that looks simple enough, just removing the stock one. do you have the model number for the K&N you put on ? looks great.

Here you go. 2004 FORD EXPLORER K&N 57 Series FIPK Air Intakes 57-2564.

Back