Possible alignment fix for pulling to the right!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible alignment fix for pulling to the right!!!

Is there alot of play in your steering wheel? It may be a something relating to your rack & pinion and not suspension. I would have it checked professionally.

Does your fiancée get carsick when you drive him in his car/truck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its possibly that your steering gearbox is adjusted too tight...

I have the same problem. The wheels are aligned, but I can never get the steering wheel "on center." This is center for me:

Dead Link Removed

I don't understand why they can't take the steering wheel off and "re-center" the steering wheel. What gives?

Well hopefully with these bushing I'll be able to drive straight :). Not getting my hopes up... but we'll see... I think the radius arm bushings needed replaced anyway so maybe it will work out for the better...

The problem with the stearing wheel not being straight is due to the failure of the person doing the alignment to make sure it is straight when they align the front end. Bring it back and complain until they do it right.

Really...?

I've had it aligned at three different places, and nobody can get it right. I'm beginning to think it's the steering box, but that's an expensive fix, so I'm just leaving it as is for now...

I don't necessarily think its just due to the steering wheel not being straight when aligning, otherwise mine would've been figured out by SOMEONE by now :). It can mean so many different things... damaged tie rod ends, camber, caster, tow, incorrect tire pressure, on and on...

Nope, there's nothing wrong with the truck . . . just the alignment tech's. They just try to get it close. I rarely let anyone work on my Explorer without me standing right there . . . I don't trust 'em. I do most things myself. I'm always standing right there watching the guy who aligns my truck, and I double check everything, including making sure the stearing wheel is straight. They usually have a device that holds the wheel in place while they align it. First they've got to actually put that device on the stearing wheel, but they also have to double check it from time to time because it can move a little.

Some places wont let you go into the shop. If they wont, then go find someplace that will.

Exploreminnesota, that may be but simply have the steering wheel straight will still not fix a bad alignment... what I mean is even if I could somehow magically permanently rotate my steering wheel straight, the vehicle would still pull and I would still be working hard to keep it in the top position. Now on the other hand, if the wheel is ****ed to the right a bit but the vehicle goes continually strait without any hard steering on your part, then you may very well be right. In my case though, its not just that the steering wheel is ****ed but that I have to force it to stay ****ed at just the right angle, and not because it wants to force it back to the "good" angle, but because the alignment is just way off...

You are correct, the pulling to the right is a separate problem. My advice for the crooked steering wheel was for only that problem. My advice for the "Pulls to the Right" problem is earlier in this thread.

Sorry if I gave the impression the steering wheel fix was also for the pulling to the right problem.

Fix the pull problem first, then go get the alignment checked . . . it will probably need some adjustment after fixing the pull. Then make sure they align it with the steering wheel straight.

My steering

Sorry...I was daydreaming and forgot I asked this question. To answer Cameron, there is NO play in my steering whatsoever. Weirdest thing...

And NO he doesn't get sick when I drive his truck. He says its my truck or my driving. (I, of course, would say its the truck :) lol). He's fine if he's driving...I dunno. Maybe I will go and have an alignment and make sure they align the steering wheel. Ever heard of a self-aligning steering wheel? My Lumina had that (or so it said), and I never had a single bit of problem with the steering wheel ever being off after alignments. Maybe once I get my new tires on it will be cured?!?

ok well I'm finally getting off my ass, and having someone else do the work, LOL. It's too cold and I'm too busy to do it myself but it needs to get done, so I'm taking it in this thursday for a radius arm bushing change as well as the alignment that goes with it, and I'm having them re-balance my tires at the same time. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes!

well, it seems my mechanic is refusing to work on my Explorer, apparently out of protest for the fact that my Explorer is so cool! LOL no seriously, here's what I was informed of...
first off, he doesn't think the adjustable bushings will work with the superlift brackets, and he doesn't want to even put standard bushings in. Seems the idiots at Dick Cepek when they installed the lift also incorrectly drilled the wholes for the drop-down brackets in that portion of it. I have no idea what thats gonna take to correct, but it's starting to tick me off all the things I'm finding wrong with their installation, especially since I'm spending so much to correct their problems.
FUN!

Holy crap Matt! I guess it just goes to show you you really get what you pay for in the end. Dude that just sucks the big one. So are they going to have to re-install your whole front end then?

<sigh> I don't know, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. High Country doesn't have opening until the end of the month, but they're probably who I'm going to take it to. Guy at the mechanic said the radius arm dropdown brackets on one side were just about to snap, and that's why he didn't want to replace them, even with standard bushings, liability issues... So I'll probably be buying some new brackets, probably end up doing most of the front end over again, since it's been so darn screwy...

Alignment and Cepek

Matt, Michelle, Flyau, and All:

First of all Fly, and Michelle: I don't know too many details about where you're getting your alignments done... but there is absolutely no reason that they can't set your steering wheel straight... other than ignorance or laziness!! If you have a GOOD offroad shop in your area, ask them who they reccommend. Find an Alignment shop that understands 4X 's, modified or un. I have had poor luck with, and don't trust tire shops, dealers, etc. Go to a shop that specializes in Alignment, Suspension and Brakes. Then they have to be good, since they don't get money from other sales :).
You'll likely have to pay a bit more, though. For instance, Here in S. Ca, I can get a tire shop alignment for $20, but my small shop that does Excellent work charges $75..... but with BFG KO's at $125 ea, and having a truck that drives/ handles well, it's worth it IMHO. I think you get what you pay for in this case.

As for Cepek, well, Matt, this just confirms what i've heard from quite a few folks. If you have a "mainstream" frequently modified 4X like a J**P or T*y*t*, then maybe they can handle it, but anything unusual.(like Explorer)...I've heard horror stories about our local Cepek. Hope you can get yours straightened out.

Well Matt if you really don't have to have it right away we could probably take your drop brackets off and ship them back to superlift get new ones for free that way and then install the new ones correctly. Superlift WILL replace all their stuff for free if its broken. They do charge your credit card untill they get the broken part back. Then they credit it. You just have to pay for shipping. Man what a pain in the ass! Just go out there and kick it. LOL When you get home that is.

Matt,
I would call Superlift first. Let them know what parts are broken and they might send them to you without having to use your credit card. I wished I knew the guys name that I talked to. If I can find it I will let you know Saturday at Hooters. I had them send me a new part and it wasn't no big deal. I think they are pretty good to work with.

yeah, I'll have to figure out what to do. I'm not in any sort of mood to make any decisions regarding the Explorer right now...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Matt,

Did you get the pull to the right straightened out? Also, where can I buy that kit?

Back