Possible Blown Head Gasket | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible Blown Head Gasket

kuzimm

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
89 Ford Ranger
Hi all, I wanted to try and get some alternate opinions in the hopes that my worst fears are not true.

I have an '89 Ranger 2.9 V6. Just about everything on it leaks a little bit at this point, but no major problems until recently I noticed a lot of coolant starting to weep out of my water pump. Took it in and got it replaced as this truck is currently my daily driver and I have limited tools to do anything myself quickly. During the leaking I stayed on top of the coolant and the engine never ran hotter than normal.

That was about a week ago. This past weekend I drove from LA down to San Diego for labor day. Didn't notice any problems, however today when coming back I started hearing an odd sound coming from my engine bay while driving on the freeway. Not especially menacing sounding, but I am just hyper sensitive to anything out of the ordinary at this point in that truck. The sound was rhythmic and stopped if I eased up on the accelerator. I pulled off to take a look and as I stopped at a stop sign to pull into a parking lot the truck stuttered and stalled (automatic). I started it back up and a huge amount of thick white smoke poured out the tail pipe, the engine also ran very rough and threatened to stall again if I didn't keep the revs up. Pulled the last 100 feet into the parking lot and shut her down. Faint sweet smell outside the truck. With the hood up I started the engine again and again got a ton of smoke pouring out the tail, and the engine block itself seemed to be rocking quite violently in the bay. I quickly turned the truck back off not wanting to cause any more damage. I also noticed that this point that the temp gauge on the dash was a much higher than normal. Not all the way too full hot but the gauge spells "N O R M A L" between the C and H on the arc and the needle typically sits right on the O even after a long highway drive, the gauge was up to around the A or L at this point.

Not sure what to do at this point and still about 50 miles from home I had my girlfriend use her AAA and we got towed the rest of the way home. Dropped me off in front of my apartment and I was able to start the truck up and pull it into my spot without much problem, no smoke, although I am suspecting that was just because the engine was completely cold at that point.

Any ideas? Based on what I've read sounds like a head gasket, but that is not a repair I have time to do myself with this being my only transportation and my limited work space and tools, and I don't really want to pay a mechanic $1000+ to do on this super old truck that has sucked up waaaaaaay too much of my money in my one year of ownership.

I suspect the replacement water pump failed and the engine overheated. Did you use a Ford water pump? Check with the mechanic that replaced the water pump, is there a warrenty that could be used to get the repair work done? Might have to consult with a lawyer to determine your rights. Have Ford do a diagnosis on the current issue. This is all assuming you don't just want to buy another cheap Ford Ranger, I'm sure there are millions still out there.

If the engine gets hot it expands, sometimes this expansion leads to the head gasket losing it's seal. So water gets into the cylinder

It might be the engine had a head gasket problem when you bought it.

Cracked heads are common which show up as head gasket leak.

Back