• Register Today It's free!

Possible Blown Head Gasket?

racer_x_one

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Hi, I have a question about my heads. I have a 94 xlt with 250+k on it and its displaying the classic symtoms of a blown head gasket/cracked head. Well I should backup a little.

At first it seemed to just be leaking coolant into the engine. I was getting alot of gunk and moisture under the oil fill cap but no evidence of coolant in the exhaust (white smoke, smell) or on the plugs. So after tasting a droplet of in and realizing it was coolant I replaced the lower, upper, and valve cover gaskets. Now it seems to be worse and displaying the classic symtoms(white smoke, blowby out the oil fill cap, and bubbling in the overflow).

Does this sound right or did I screw something up. If you guys could give me an idea of weather you think its a blown head gasket or cracked head that would help what direction I go from here.

I know you realy dont know till you take it apart. But if guys who have seen it before could give me an educated guess it would help. This is my only car and I cant afford to put any more money into that I dont have to. I.E. if you think its more likely to be the head than Im not going to bother. Its running for now and if thats the case I'll just start looking for something else for now.

Thanks for reading and any help would be appriciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would say cracked head if you saw it in the oil first then the exhaust.sounds like the crack is just getting bigger.even if it is a head gasket i would spend the extra money and replace the heads,don't wanna tear it down twice.the price of two gasket sets and two head bolt sets is not much less than heads.

Thanks for the reply jd. I found a pair of used heads local here for $150. Head gaskets are $40 each and bolt set is $40. So thats $270 to start plus exhaust bolts. I just dont know if I want to get into that mess or not. I dont have a garage, I have to work outside and its cold as winter is setting in. Do you think I can reuse the lower, upper and valve cover gaskets since I just did it(last night). Thanks

I wouldn't use any kind of stock heads.they are pos and your end back in the same situation.if your going to do it spend another $150 and get new heads with a warranty.nope can't use any of the old stuff.its not a bad job if you know what your doing.exhaust bolts will be your biggest problem.

Ps i have a used set that has been tested and 3 angle valve job but they are used 90tm and would be worried to even sell them to anyone.i had them up for sale on here but pulled them down.

Well not what I wanted to hear but sound advice just the same. Thanks again jd. I will look for new ones...
so just to be clear I can not reuse the gaskets I just put in last night(lower, upper and vavle cover)?

Well not what I wanted to hear but sound advice just the same. Thanks again jd. I will look for new ones...
so just to be clear I can not reuse the gaskets I just put in last night(lower, upper and vavle cover)?

sorry,I've done quite some research on ford heads;)I sure wouldn't.once they are smashed they are no good once you move everything around.you could also replace them with true 95tm heads and go up to 10:1 compression making it a little more worth it,don't know what you really use this vehicle for tho

If you wanna do a replace and" sell as is" then ill sell you mine for $75 plus shipping and would say you could rtv the hello outa the intake gaskets and sell "as is" to someone so you could make some money off from it

don't know what you really use this vehicle for tho

It's my dd/only vehicle. Hopfuly down the road I can pick up something else and make the ex my fun vehicle. There's alot I'd like to do to it after what I've learned from the members on this forum.

Do you know of any where on the web I can look for heads? I know I've read it on one or more threads just can remember/find it.

I run engine quest heads.they are the only ones that make true 95th heads.they also make a 93tm head,witch is what you have. alabamacylinder heads also have 93tm and 98tm heads,many use them also.only two i trust

I like them for sure.if you don't mind running 90+ gas i say get the 95tm heads.they will give you more power and be more efficient.they take your compression up to 10:1.your at 9:1 now and the newer sohc ex come with 9.8:1 so

90tm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-EXPLOR...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item20ad93e8df

95tm
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-EXPLOR...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item27aca4d2da

i would jump on this quick,they are on sale and these heads go for around $180+++ think i paid $230 apiece for my last set

O sorry didn't see he changed shipping cost haha.$140 shipped is still pretty cheap. alabama cylinder head is $150+ shipping for 93tm and $205+shipping for 95tm so its still a REALLY GOOD deal on 95tm heads

There is there is only three styles they make in an after market head
93tm is a 90-94 head and has a large combustion chamber and large exhaust ports
95tm is a 95-97 head and has smalle combustion chamber and large exhaust ports
98tm is a 98+ ohv head and has small combustion chamber and small exhaust ports.
any of those heads will fit on your motor but if you use the later style 95-98tm they have smaller combustion chambers so it will increase you compression to 10:1 and needs 90+ gas bit adds power and makes the motor more efficient.if you wanna stay completely stock as is then get 93tm 90-94 heads

Ok, if I get a set of those heads I wont be getting them till next week sometime. At present my ex is running...how long do you think I can drive it without causing any futher damage? I really cant be without it till I get those heads.

If your getting water in the oil then it can't not be drove at all!!it will destroy your bearing in no time and these motor have low oil pressure to became with.the motor would be done for,it would tap and burn mad oil till it locks up

If your getting water in the oil then it can't not be drove at all!!it will destroy your bearing in no time and these motor have low oil pressure to became with.the motor would be done for,it would tap and burn mad oil till it locks up

Well I dont think its actualy in my oil. In my OP I was just sayin that there was moisture on my fill cap and what I'm assuming is blowby from burning coolant is coming out of the fill cap. I can post pics and a video of what I described.

I resently changed my oil and it looked fine and I pulled my dip stick this morning and it looks fine too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This was a few weeks ago and took some time to accumulate this much.
Cap2.jpg

Cap.jpg

Cap1.jpg

Back