• Register Today It's free!

Possible diesel swap 93 xlt.

pauley

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt
Ok i have been trying to sell my truck for several mounths now and needles to say i have been failing horribly. i wanted to get rid of it for the fact a: i needed money and b: i need somthing with some towing power. so now i am thinking i should purchase a totaled f250 with a 7.3 liter turbo diesel. so i would like to know if any one has ever done this can it be done or am i nutz (well i know im nutz but i mean really really crazy).:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Browse/search -- the idea has been discussed in at least two threads (that I can remember).

FYI, I just saw a 6.0 engine, transmission and transfer case sitting outside of a vehicle but all in one piece when I picked up some axles for FROADER. My comment to my girlfriend was that the powertrain for the F250 is damn near the size of my Explorer. I couldn't imagine trying to stuff that in a small SUV.

I don't think dropping in a Powerstroke on a Solid Axle'd Explorer will increase towing capacity, towing power...yes, capacity...no since you will be adding all the weight under the hood.

thats what im afraid of with this swap is it all fitting its not so much the capacity but having the power is what im looking for my truck will tow stuff but not the way i want it to i just know that my buddy has a f250 with a banks six gun and that truck is stupid powerful so thats kinda the route i was thinking of going just with my ex instead of a pickup. im almost wondering if a cummins would be easier to fit.

Go with the 5.9 Cummins, it would be easier.

But I think you need to reevaluate what is involved in a tow vehicle. You have to match everything including the axles. The Ford 8.8 axle is not a full floater and the more weight you put on it, the less torque it can withstand. In addition, long wheelbase is a must with a tow point behind the rear axle for stability.

EDIT -- and correct me if I'm wrong, but are you sure the 93 7.3L has a turbo? Maybe its an after-market turbo?

Go with the 5.9 Cummins, it would be easier.

Probably the easiest would be the 4 cyl Cummins. It is a good bit lighter than either the Powerstroke or 5.9 Cummins. It also might stand a better chance of fitting under the hood without sticking into the backseat.

But it does seem that you are heading down the right path by trying to sell the explorer and buying something that will better meet your needs.

Back